Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Squeeky Spring Mounts

Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Default Squeeky Spring Mounts

Anyone else ever have this issue where the top of the spring sits on the shock tower? Mine are driving me NUTS. I pulled it all apart last weekend and lubed the top of the spring, the plastic mount and the top of the shock tower where the spring meets it. It bought me about 15 miles of quiet time and the squeeks are back.

I think its actually the rubbery plastic mounts rubbing against the metal shock tower itself. Should I just remove them and let the spring sit right in the pocket?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Most likely the upper control arms causing the squeeking.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

i'm guessing you have polyurethane coil insulators I've heard they squeak a lot...i have them on mine and haven't really noticed but the stock type rubber pads are suppose to be a lot quieter.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Probably the spring perch. Hit the outside with a lubricant. it'll last for a while. I don't even sell them anymore. Roller perches or bust.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i sprayed all over my suspension it since I have the car, and it always came back. the upper arm bushings in the 64 model don't have grease nipples. when i did the shelby drop I changed all bushing including arms and that was that.
pulling it apart might have caused something else to settle, unrest.
I'm with the others. it's either the upper arm bushing, lower arm bushing or spring perch.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Front end squeaks are a Ford tradition. To overcome the annoyance you have to become one with the car and reach your happy point then the squeaks will fade away and all will be serene.

If your not quite so existential...B-B-B-blast the stereo.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Grease the top of the springs then WD40. then Lady GaGa's new CD, Born this way.
On my 69, I drilled holes and put in 2 grease Zerks on top of each spring tower. Every time I would hear, erreeqe, I would give it a few pumps.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Judas! Juda-a-a! Judas! Juda-a-a!

Yep.

For masking squeaks, Lady GaGa is the best.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

I just bought "Born this way" today, it sound real good in my 11 mustang about 1/2 throttle
Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 AM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
i sprayed all over my suspension it since I have the car, and it always came back. the upper arm bushings in the 64 model don't have grease nipples. when i did the shelby drop I changed all bushing including arms and that was that.
pulling it apart might have caused something else to settle, unrest.
I'm with the others. it's either the upper arm bushing, lower arm bushing or spring perch.
Well I hugged. A tree, found my center and realigned my chi and its still squeaking. This included lubing the hell out of the sway bar bushings, upper control arm bushings and the top of the spring pocket. I guess the perches are next on the list and then the lower control arm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeeky Spring Mounts