Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351C 4V or 429 Cobra Jet

Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Quazyrabbit
Do not!!! swll thosw heads and DO use them. Get a real great exhaust system, work that suspension over and If your compitant driver and do not go high 11's I will personally buy your immediate family a feast at Red Lobster.
You and I are definitely on the same train of thought! I'm not as sure the OP was headed this way which is why the milder setup was tossed out there. A 4v Mach is just begging for more! Like a dumbass I swapped my 4V heads for some machine work around 30 years ago... and a 72 fastback for a truck to boot... Ahhh! To be young AND stupid!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Quazyrabbit
I will personally buy your immediate family a feast at Red Lobster.
Pfft...if you had said Ponderosa I would have known you were really serious.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Rickj

Thanks for all the suggestions. When I originally bought the car the plan was to build up the 351C but then I had an opportunity to purchase the newly machined 429cj (from a 1971 Torino) with new rods, lifters, cam, valve springs and aluminum intake for $900.

Also I do not plan on selling the 4v heads.

I am ignorant about the inner workings of an engine and which parts/mfgrs are good and what to look for. My knowledge extends to knowing the part names and identifying them.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between roller assembly and a stroker kit?

Rick
Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 PM
ceswert
1st Gear Member

Can you shove a 429 into a 70, 351 Mach without some alterations to the engine compartment or its components?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

No sheet metal mods needed.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Quazyrabbit

Those went out of business in texas years ago, but we have many pretty good eating establishments here, but, lol I was at a loss to think of one near them, so I offered a gift-card to that place figuring surely there was one of those around there somewhere....of course on the condition i was really wrong.I remain stating that the real 351C engines, def NOT the many so-called 351-400 modifieds....left over builts of the 80's mind you, were and remain one of the stoutest factory combos, especially with the top loader 4 speed. I had one in a 69 fastback, built 5-6 for our old 70 model drag car, and wish I had 2 or three laying around in the shop amongst some of my other retirement savings account pieces and parts.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Quazyrabbit

I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but.a rollor is a rolling chasis, or a car ready with-out an engine or transmission. A "rollor set-up" could be a discription of a roller cam type set-up, ask who-ever said it what exactly they meant.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Quazyrabbit

my neighbor has his (passed) father's car in a shed by his house. It is a 1969 Mustang GT. Factory 390 four speed car. I threstened him with a beating if he did not id stamp those heads when he sent them off with the rest of the engine to be built, and we did finally, after I looked up what those are worth, that was 8 years ago. Those head castings are 1.2 inches narrower than any other bbf head, allowing them to fit between the shock towers. As far as I know or have ever seen at least hammer dimpling is required, and if headers are used, well, yes of course it will fit, but fit proper is another thing. , BTW, then those heads had a bounty of 6 grand, one off re-casts made just for that year motor combo. Ford had intended to get rid of a pile of the 390 engines with that build, instead lost their butts when the first pre-production cars had "scraping noises, excess heat, paint issues and undesirable engine noise" from road testing.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Rickj

Quazyrabbit,

Where in texas are you located? I am located in Pearland, just south of Houston.

Rick
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Another Texas request. Mark me down as Van Vleck (Bay City area) for anyone curious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 351C 4V or 429 Cobra Jet