Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

302 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
1 sleeve is one cylinder dumb ***. You wanna pick **** again? Go look at your grill post and see where that got you.
Please keep this confined to the other thread so this one can stay on topic.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rat fink
Holley makes a 500 cfm 2 barrel carb that is a bolt on. Will give you a few HP.

Isk
said, " I had a 1 sleeve done on another block"
I'm not sure what that is, maybe we could get a 7th grader to interpret.
Sweeeet, round two. The best part is it makes the forum better because now we are all double checking spelling and grammar.

To the Op, I would remove said engine and place on a stand for posterity then start with a completely different engine. Do not waste your money on forged pistons for a mild build.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Last edited by Rat fink; 06-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Pyroburner69
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all of the advice. This place is always good for information. I will have to look into cams a bit. I just wanted to see if maybe I should do something like pistons while the engine is apart. The car was originally by the numbers but I don't really care about that to much. I just love driving it.
Any have any suggestions on what to look for as far as cams go? I know they have different ranges and there are a good bit of them that are not happy at idle.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

You need to read around a bit and make a list of what YOU want it to do. Bumpy idle? Gas mileage? Drag race power? Road race mid-range power? Figure out where you'll be spending the most time and work from there. Don't take someone's advice on a specific cam unless it's someone using it in the same fashion you want. I did a ton of research as I wanted a strong midrange cam with good in town manners and just enough of a lope to give it an attitude - the choice I made nailed it. You may be in a different category and may hate my choice, so determine what you want/expect and go from there. Also, many milder cams can use stock valve springs although 200,000 mile springs should be replaced. Anytime you get in the .5 lift neighborhood you'll likely be stepping up to better than stock springs/retainers. Figure that into the price. Then there's roller rockers... cool, but not necessary in milder applications.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Pyroburner69
1st Gear Member

Just looking for a few tips. I think I am actually starting to lean away from a cam now. Just with the little research I have done I think it might be better to just rebuild this back to stock and then get better intake and exhaust when I have the cash for it. I don't really want anything to crazy. I want to stay in the double digits for gas miles (currently getting 11 with the way its running.) and I just want to be a bit better off the line. I like to feel the tires spin once in a while.
Thanks for all of the advice very helpful as always.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

A well built engine increases effeciency which also increases gas mileage as well as hp...Matched componants are the key.My stock 302 4V engine would knock down 21-23mpg on the highway...It had a small 4 barrel carb and 10:1 compression from the factory..That coupled with a manual trans and a 3:1 rear gear made a nice little package for performance and mileage..I am sure a set of headers and a mild camshaft would have made it even better...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

How much money do you have, what kind of performance do you want, and how will the car be used?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Pyroburner69
1st Gear Member

I want to keep the job under 5 grand if I can. I would like to get some upholstery done once this part is finished. I want a little better the stock performance but nothing crazy. I plan on just using it as a weekend car or a daily depending on what happens. I'm thinking a new carb and exhaust will probably help with that.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Pyroburner69
1st Gear Member

ok changed my mind going to replace the cam with a mild one a little better then stock and adding these
edl-1406 carburetor
edl-2121 intake

Quick Reply: 302 rebuild