Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My dad looked at the mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: My dad looked at the mustang.

If it is road worthy, I think I would take a cell phone with me, and have someone follow me.....and drive it home. That 40 mile trip would be the best way for you to get to know all the quirks of the car, and what to repair first. Take several gallons of coolant/water mix with you, and stop every now and then to make sure the coolant level is up to snuff. Now, that is what I would do. But, I am the adventuresome type.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:19 AM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

DO you have a friend with a truck? You can rent a trailer for around $50 a day and just tow it home. I trailered my 72 home to PA from southern MD when I bought it. But part of that was because it wasn't registered at the time either, it probably would have made the drive though.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I would take some coolant like soaring said and risk it.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:07 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Whats the worst that coould happen? We would be paying close attention to the enigine temp and would catch over heating very quickly.
My dad also doesnt like the drum brakes so thats part of the reason.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Drum brakes will stop you, you just have to give it about 3 seconds notice before you slam on them. Heck, drum brakes have stopped vintage Mustangs for over 40 years now. If you do decide to drive it, just make sure all your fluid levels are up to par. Roll down the windows and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:49 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

We are definately not towing it but i hope we can pick it up this weekend with these gas prices.
I also have $250 and i dont know what t do with it. I will either save it for disc brakes or Buy small things like seatbelts (has none what so ever) and a jack kit. How do you flush the radiator?
I wont be driving it much at all until summer. That is when I get my license. My mom also doesnt want to insure it yet cause it will be insanely high.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Take the radiator cap off when the engine is cold. Unscrew the petcock at the bottom of the radiator and allow it to drain in a bucket or something that will hold about 2 gallons of fluid. Go to the store and get 2 gallons of anti-freeze and a flushing kit. Do not spnd your money on any acid flush. That stuff is snake oil. You will be flushing with water only. The kit will come with a plastic hose connector that you will need to put in your heater hose that is on top of your engine that runs from the water pump to the heater. That plastic thing has an inlet and an outlet that goes between/connects the hose after you cut the hose. There is a plastic cap that is used to hook up to a garden hose. That is where you hook up your garden hose. Now, after you get that all hooked up, fill the radiator with water, and hook up the garden hose to the flush kit inlet. Turn on the water hose, and turn on the engine. Let it flush until the stuff coming out from under the radiator is clear water. You will see a lot of brown crap at first. Now, turn off the gargen hose and put the cap on the heater hose. Make sure the radiator is full of water, and turn on the engine with the radiator cap on. Turn on the heater, and get the engine hot enough to get the thermostat to open. Let it idle like that for about 5 minutes. That is so the heater box is also flushed. Turn off the engine and allow it to cool. Then, take the cap off, and drain the radiator. Turn on the engine for about a minute to get as much water out of the block as possible without overheating the engine. Close the petcock on the radiator and fill it with pure anti-freeze. Turn on the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes with the cap off. Add more water if it is low. Keep adding water as the radiator bubbles (burps) the air out. Once the bubbles are out, turn on the heater again, put the cap back on and let it idle to normal temp. Once it reaches normal temp, let it idle a few more minutes to get the anti-freeze/water mixture in the heater, then shut it down and let it cool again. Once it is cool, then take off the cap and see if the radiator is full. If not, then add enough anti-freeze to get it full then replace the cap. If you have an overflow tank (And I suggest you get one if you don't have one) then you can add up to the minimum mark at this time. This method will give you basically a 50/50 anti-freeze/water mixture in your cooling system which is good for 34 degrees below zero.