Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

scared to drive!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Ponyboy1970
1st Gear Member

Default scared to drive!

today ,glorious today i got my 2, 15x7 and 2, 15x8 magnum 500 wheels put em on my 1970 mustang coupe 302 and its scary how freaking cool the car looks, but! im kinda worried i mean when i drove with its original little no hub cap wheels ppl would still stare at it with greedy eyes and now im scared to take it places because something might happen to my car maybe get stolen! how can i overcome my fear i mean so far ive only seen 2 different classic mustangs driving around my highly populated city, couple of 69's and what when i paint the car and invest more money into it and it becomes even more valuable, i want to drive this classic beauty but reasure me that everything will be ok!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: scared to drive!

So, what is your question? Do you dive it around? Yes, you do. But, only if you have the insurance coverage. That's a no-brainer. You are not going to keep people from stealing your car. A good insurance policy against theft is the only insurance you have. Dive it just like it was an 85 Honda, and don' worry about theft. If it gets stolen, then the insurance will take care of it. Just make sure it is insured for the amount you need to replace it. If you are a youngun, you can't afford it, unless your father is an ex-employee of Enron. [:@]
Old 08-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Ponyboy1970
1st Gear Member

insurance, my friend for that car liability alone cost about $250 a month! full covarage will be like renting a 2 bedroom apartment i love the classic mustangs the 70 being my personal favorites and i worked so hard to buy the car and its wheels and am going to school for my ASE certification and am just 18 so its hard to keep up with life but ur right i shouldnt worry about that and just enjoy the car but most likely those purdy pony centers will be gone within a week
Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

Car alarm?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Ponyboy1970
1st Gear Member

nah if im in school or someplace alarm wouldnt help i wouldnt hear and theives are so fast these days and with wiring that old i dont know but its ok ill just be careful park close to front and lock my doors, but thankyou guys for your opinions i apreciate all the help i get here at the forum
Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

There are other things you can do to help not get your wheels or car stolen. Get one special wheel nut for each wheel that only a special tool will remove. I have those on my 03 Mach1. Some guys have hooked up a special switch to disable the ignition switch wiring. They put a switch inside the glove box or somewhere that is hooked up to the hot side of the switch, and it must be turned on for the ignition to work. That also prevents hot wiring. Others use a battery disconnect switch on the battery itself, but you have to raise the hood and throw that switch every time you drive the car. I don't think those sticks you put on the steering wheel help very much. But, it might be a deterrent to some thieves. I'm sure there are many other preventive measures you can take. And yes, if you are going to college, you most likely can't afford full coverage insurance. I have Mag 500's on my 65, and I lost a center cap just by driving it. I don't remember what I paid for a new center cap, but it wasn't cheap. I don't know how to keep folks from stealing them, except maybe apply some JB-Weld to the back side of them.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:14 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Wheel locks are necessary. If that don't work, try a Kimber .45acp. That always works.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:07 PM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

I can`t reasure you that everything will be ok, but I can promise you that I will not steal your car.
Jokes aside. I use a steering-wheel locker that connects to the brake pedal. Before I got an electric distributor, I removed the rotor inside it when parking the car. Now I have a hidden kill-switch.
I see you have to pay an arm and a leg for insurance. Here in Norway, I pay 160$ a year for full coverage
Old 09-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

160 American dollars, or 160 Euros? Either way, it is pretty cheap coverage. Yeah, in the states insurance rates for teenagers is out of sight. And, that is because teenagers are the highest risk factor for having wrecks. Inexperience is the driving factor, and not paying attention to details while driving is another.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:43 PM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

160 USD. The catch is that you have a drive limit on 8000 miles per year. The sweet thing is that if the car gets stolen, burns down etc. You get the funds to obtain \ build a car that is exactly the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scared to drive!