Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

3 point seat belt on a 65 Mustang coupe

Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default 3 point seat belt on a 65 Mustang coupe

I know this is old hat, but has anyone installed a 3 point seat belt from NPD on a 65 Coupe? From the instructions it is not made to install anywhere above the seat only on the rear panel like you would have to do for a convertible. The instructions show installing it in the proper place but says for a 68-73 with an existing bolt already welded in. Need suggestions or the name of a company that has the proper hardware to install it higher than your shoulder where it should be. From all I have read installing lower than the shoulder could cause serious problems in a crash. I have read about this several times previously and felt most brands would install the same
Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I have seen 3-point belts installed in 64-67 cars exactly the same as 68-70 cars. The nut must be installed in the roof rail. Structurally, there's no difference other than the nut.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM
JamesW

check out my webpage. there's a section on installing 3 pt harness. The technique would be the same for a coupe but you'd need to fish the backing plate back up there. tack a clothes hangar wire to the plate to reach it back up in there.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
I have seen 3-point belts installed in 64-67 cars exactly the same as 68-70 cars. The nut must be installed in the roof rail. Structurally, there's no difference other than the nut.
The problem with the NPD kit is that they do not supply a plate with a nut or a threaded plate to mount it with. I will probably just get one made.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
The problem with the NPD kit is that they do not supply a plate with a nut or a threaded plate to mount it with. I will probably just get one made.
Thanks
This kit comes with everything you need

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html

How to thread here
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...for-coupe.html
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Thank you very much. This is exactly what I needed. These belts are $35 per belt cheaper. The NPD set does not come with the mounting plate for the roof, The installation pics were a great help also. I really appreciate this. Nave a great evening. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

May want to check the Wesco belts out that have the longer sash. I ended up going that route since the regular sash the belt rode to high on my neck. They have a tool that shows you which one to select based on where the upper pivot point is. Should be mid point on rear window. Anything below the window - verts or above window calls for longer sash. If you decide to go with regular ones and black you can PM me. I got a set never used I'll let go cheap - just minues hardware which you can buy thru Wesco.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
May want to check the Wesco belts out that have the longer sash. I ended up going that route since the regular sash the belt rode to high on my neck. They have a tool that shows you which one to select based on where the upper pivot point is. Should be mid point on rear window. Anything below the window - verts or above window calls for longer sash. If you decide to go with regular ones and black you can PM me. I got a set never used I'll let go cheap - just minues hardware which you can buy thru Wesco.
Are you saying a set like I have from NPD will not from work properly? On my 65, the only access in the roof rail is right at the top of the rear window where the roof starts it's curve towards the trunk. I can move it a few inches toward the front but not a lot, I actually had to fabricate a steel plate to mount the bolt to mount to the roof rail. I have not finished the install but the belt seems long enough. Am i in for a surprise? I will check out the Wesco. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

can't speak for 65 - but on my 70 belt rode too high on my neck. I'm 5' 10" - my wife is just over 5' - was not comfortable. Longer sash is just right. Wesco has some diagrams that gives some advice on which belt to use depending on where your mounting point is.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
can't speak for 65 - but on my 70 belt rode too high on my neck. I'm 5' 10" - my wife is just over 5' - was not comfortable. Longer sash is just right. Wesco has some diagrams that gives some advice on which belt to use depending on where your mounting point is.
I looked at the website last night. I think I might give the NPD a try since I have it installed except the bolt attached to the roof rail. Wesco is considerably less expensive and I might be forced to switch. I really think NPD needs to either include the roof rail plate or let you know it is not made to fit a pre-68 unless you mount it to the door frame which I keep reading is not really the safest place to mount it. The instructions plainly says it will fit a 68 up with an existing mount point in the roof, but the catalog doesn't mention this. Did you mount yours close to the opening? I might be able to fish it in more but it would be much easier closer to the opening. The instructions and pics were a great help. I am getting ready to call NPD and see how long this one is. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 point seat belt on a 65 Mustang coupe