Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Master Cylinder Push Rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 AM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Default Master Cylinder Push Rod

Hello, I recently purchased a 1969 Mustang 2 weeks ago, and the master cylinder was wrong so i put the right master cylinder in. However once i put the new cylinder in the brake pedal is way up and it is very uncomfortable to brake the car.

I want to take the push rod from the old master cylinder and put it in the new one, does anyone know how to do that?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I do not think you can do that. You probably need a smaller bore master cylinder. More bore makes the pedal harder and shorter while the smaller bore makes the pedal longer and a little softer. I had a 1" on my dual disc setup and it was too short and firm for me so when I upgraded to Wilwood brakes, I put on a 7/8" master cylinder and I can now almost push the pedal to the floor if I really stand on it. It made stopping my car much easier.

You may also want to verify that you are using a manual brake pedal if you do not have a booster as that affects the mechanical advantage too.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

If you are replacing it, might as well go dual.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

with the new master cylinder it came with an extra push rod that is shorter(but as short as the old push rod), and there is a clip at the end, or it has to be removeable
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 AM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MajMotorsports
with the new master cylinder it came with an extra push rod that is shorter(but as short as the old push rod), and there is a clip at the end, or it has to be removeable
meant to say - NOT as short as the old push rod
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

You can simply pull the rod out and place a different one in there. Depending on how its held it it may be easy or hard. Some have a simple o-ring that you can reuse, others have a metal clip that will break when you pull it out. You can replace that with an o-ring that fits as well. I had to do it when putting a '67 dual sytle on my 66 because they have different rod lengths. You no NOT had to take the piston out of the cylinder to do this. Doing so could make your life much more difficult at getting them back in is a pain.

Scott
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

This might help:
http://www.streetortrack.com/Adjusta...-pr-19726.html
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
I do not think you can do that. You probably need a smaller bore master cylinder. More bore makes the pedal harder and shorter while the smaller bore makes the pedal longer and a little softer. I had a 1" on my dual disc setup and it was too short and firm for me so when I upgraded to Wilwood brakes, I put on a 7/8" master cylinder and I can now almost push the pedal to the floor if I really stand on it. It made stopping my car much easier.

You may also want to verify that you are using a manual brake pedal if you do not have a booster as that affects the mechanical advantage too.
So how do walk into the parts store and say, 'I want the 7/8" bore version of this 1 incher'?
I recently replaced my leaky master cylinder with a stock manual one and I'm not happy with it. Too firm and not enough braking power.
Is there a cross reference year, make, model, engine, etc. that the guy behind the counter will understand, if you know what I mean?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

If it is like the 67 pushrod it WILL come out, but it will be a bitch.

The best way to get it out is to clamp the pushrod in a vice and then prying the master cylinder casting away from the vice.

There is a tool made to get those out by releasing the clip, but good luck finding one. It will come out by force.... and some are easier than others.

If you have the right m/c by application, (year, model, disk vs. drum, power vs. manual) your cylinder bore will be ok.

Last edited by JMD; 06-16-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
If you have the right m/c by application, (year, model, disk vs. drum, power vs. manual) your cylinder bore will be ok.
I don't think so. I did that and got a 1" bore which I don't like. I would like to try a 7/8" bore for the reasons stated above by urbancowboy.

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder Push Rod