Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Good news/bad news, with pics... Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Default Good news/bad news, with pics... Need help...

I just got my disc brake kit from here:

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang...s%20ABOUT.html

The good news: it looks nice and one side mounted up perfectly

The bad news: I didn't notice it till I had everything mounted, but it looks like one of the rotors has a screw up from the foundry. It looks like some sand got into the casting where it wasn't supposed to.

The question is: is this a big deal? Do I need to send this back and get a different one? If it won't effect the balance or rotor life, then I'll keep it. The defect is about 50% of the way through the rotor wall.

Also, the brake lines were left outa my kit. Not too big of a deal, and Dennis said he'll send them to me on Monday. It just sucks cuz I'm working up in Tulsa during the week, and my Mustang is in Texas.

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails Good news/bad news, with pics... Need help...-img_0191.jpg   Good news/bad news, with pics... Need help...-img_0194.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:52 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Are you talking about that little nick on top? I doubt it will become a problem. That said, why not send it back? What is one more week without the Mustang? You aren't even in Texas to enjoy it.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Hey Super David digging your signature pic!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

If you are talking about that small defect in the top edge of the rotor, I would just use it...
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

I don't think that is going to throw you out of balance. Something at the outter side of the rotating mass' radius, such as the rim or tire, if that had a chunk missing, it'd be a different story. Being that it is closer to the inner point of the rotating mass, (not being the wheel) of the full circle, then it would have no effect. I hope my explanation was understandable.

On the other hand, what about when the disc wears out and gets closer to the void? Doesn't hurt to have that piece of mind and have a new one sent...