Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

I also suggest going with a new or rebuilt quick ratio steering box. Thats what I did and it works great.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

tx65coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
OldSchoolSpartan

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang Coupe

A lot of debate on this subject but that is half the fun. Yeah the J car idea sounds pretty cool and I worked for GM for a number of years as a mechanic so I don't doubt the idea and my fab skills seem up to par. I really don't care for the stock steering boxes of the day (the one thing I almost hate as much as drum brakes switched to Willwoods on all four corners and never looked back ,but I digress). I rebuilt the box a few years back and I still can't get over the old 'floaty' feeling. I guess I am really and going for a BA home brewed street fighter look for this car since I got bored with the stock rebuild some time back. A fabed steering system would match the Frankensteined turbo engine I got in it ha,ha,ha. Just saving my pennies for a TKO 5-speed since the C4 keeps on getting destroyed every time my foot gets a little bit of lead in it.
OldSchoolSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #13
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Drive a j car tho they are not known for handling same thing with a ford taurus.Talk to http://www.lee-powersteering.com/ they rebuild steering boxes in any ratio you could want.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
tweet66

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang coupe

I drove (I'm ashamed to admit this...) a 89 Cavalier for a few years and no they are not the greatest handling vehicle, but they did have a higher ratio (2.5 turn lock to lock) rack available. That is the rack I used in my setup.
tweet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT Premium

I doubt that the J-car's R&P deserves much of the blame for that platform's perceived level of goodness(?).

Assuming that the J-car R&P has enough travel, the real trick is getting the R&P pivots in the right places so you don't end up with too much bumpsteer. Having to saw away at the steering wheel to keep the car somewhere near centered in your lane on a long curve with something like frost heaves in it gets a bit old after a while.

Norm

'95 626/V6/5MT (still in the family but not at this address)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
tweet66

I mocked mine up with the original center-link in place so the rack would at least be on the same plane as the original setup. I then raised it another 1/4" for ground clearance and to help alleviate some bump steer because the car is lowered 2" up front.

Hey Norm, where are you in Cherry Hill? I'm right around the corner in Pennsauken.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT Premium

Not too far from the Cherry Hill "Library Mahal" on King's Hwy.

OT - since you're kind of local, do you know anything about Steve's Auto Body (opposite the Cherry Hill Mall)? Wife got the Subaru's driver door tagged by somebody in a parking lot this last week and I've got that as a suggestion from the ins. co.

Norm

'95 626/V6/5MT (still in the family but not at this address)

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-01-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
JMD
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 39 Ford

There is a fair amount of planning involved in getting a rack, and the tie rod ends in the right place. Some literature on the subject might be in order.

I am not making judgements on anyone's work on this board, but I am certain that somebody somewhere has added a homemade R&P to a Mustang making it handle and drive far worse than the stock setup.

Just sayin....

JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #19
tweet66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Not too far from the Cherry Hill "Library Mahal" on King's Hwy.

OT - since you're kind of local, do you know anything about Steve's Auto Body (opposite the Cherry Hill Mall)? Wife got the Subaru's driver door tagged by somebody in a parking lot this last week and I've got that as a suggestion from the ins. co.

Norm
Haven't really heard anything about the place. I pass by it all the time on my way to the Wednesday night cruises as the Silver Diner. I usually stop in places like that to check prices but haven't had a need lately. I've been trying to find a place that'll rent me their booth so I can spray my 65 Falcon. Doubt that will ever happen in NJ though....
Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #20
OldSchoolSpartan

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang Coupe

I might sell a truck I have and go with a rack set up from Summit that was previously mentioned along with a tubular suspension/coil overs but we will see if that happens I still need to finish blocking the body and spray it. After all is said and done i might keep the truck.
OldSchoolSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
03, 1982, 2004, cobra, gm, jcar, kit, labor, mustang, pinion, quick, rack, ratio, rebuild, svt