Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 AM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Default Help Please!

I was laughing out loud when i was reading the post about all the quirks your stangs have, I have had mine less than a week and she has been dubbed Christine because I swear there is a ghost in her. She squeaks really bad on the right front side, the windows leak, the lights went out driving down the road earlier tonight and the day I got her she started stalling
(like the other stang--I have to hold the clutch and brake and alternate between them while revving the motor up)
and we haven't figured out what's wrong with her yet! She is beautiful and i love her, but darn it, i need some advice.

Now I am just a woman, (a redneck woman and one who knows some about cars) but my husband is convinced I am offbase.

Scenario:
We bought her and after about an hour of driving she stalled at a red light. Pushed in the clutch and she stalled, started right back up and we drove on until I pushed the clutch in again. we got home and checked the fuel filter, it was filthy. Changed the fuel filter on the carb, put a clear in line filter on and replaced plugs (which weren't even seated all the way in when we bought it) and the wires and she started right up. Ran pretty good until she started making a weird noise like a cross between a lope and a stall, she never stalled until we revved the motor up and then let off. Tonight we rebuilt the carb and she is no longer making that horrible noise but is stalling again.
I say it is the timing, he says no way. After reading the post about the 69 you all helped out with I figured I would ask you.

Is it the timing, a vaccum hose or what? We have adjusted the carb every sort of way and can get it to idle real smooth but can't keep it from stalling...

Thanks in advance!

Charity from Texas
Old 09-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Help Please!

Do you know how long the car was sitting undriven before you bought it? If it was an extended period of time, then you may have two things you need to do. First, drain all the gas out of the tank. Take the sending unit out of the tank, and inspect it to see if rust has clogged it. Put in a 5 gallon can of fresh gas after you put the sending unit back in, and see if that clears it up.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:33 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Hi Soaring, Thanks for getting back to me. I have no idea how long she sat up before the dealer bought her, but she has little rust on the body so we think it was garaged for awhile. It was sitting in his lot for 3 months before we bought her.
We drained the gas that first day we worked on her, the gas was clean, as far as we could see. We were going to take the tank off and see if it was rusted on the inside, but it looked to us as if you had to take the back bumper and plastic guard off to get the tank off. Are we wrong about that?
You think we should start with the sending unit? That is something we are going to have to take the tank off to get to, correct?

Charity
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Depending on the year, of course. But, the mid 60's have the sending unit on the front of the tank toward the front of the car. Just take out those screws, and pull it out. It should have a "sock" for a filter that may be clogged with rust particles. Or, the sock may have even disintergrated, and rust particles may be in the tube. Last summer "OldYeller" was acting just like you describe yours as acting. So, I drained my tank, took the sending unit out, and cleaned it well. I have a drain plug on my 65, so I was able to get all the old gas out of it. Man, there was some tan to brown colored nasty gas in there. So, with the sending unit out, I hooked up my trusty shop vac and sucked as much old gas and rust particles out as I could. After I put it all back together and put in 5 gallons of fresh gas, she ran like a top. This may not be your problem, but if it is, it's a cheap fix. Good luck with her, and get back to us. If you have water in the tank, it will not get all out if you don't have a drain plug. Water sits on the bottom of the tank. If you think you have rust inside the tank, you may as well take it off and replace. Hey, they are cheap. As a red neck woman who is handy with wrenches, you can figure out how to do that in a New York minute.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:02 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Alright,

Here's the scoop...we took the sending unit off and it looked pretty clean, stuck a flashlight in there and looked around and OMG, it was horrible. We did have to take the bumper and back flashing off but it was alright once we figured it out.
Got it off and poured some gas and some screws (of all things ) in there and shook it, rinsed it, repeat for two freaking hours and we have a pretty clean tank. Got it all hooked up and adjusted the carb again, it still idles a lil rough so now hubby is going to replace the fuel pump. If we keep getting trash then its prob in the lines which we blew out but didn't replace.

So that's the story. A new tank is about 320 so if she still keeps stalling we may start at the tank and replace everything on the way back up, it will have to wait though, I just spent all my money when I bought her.

Thanks for the help and look for a pic soon, she rides rougher than hell but she sure is pretty.

Charity
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I don't know where you got your price for a new fuel tank for your 72 from, but you can get one here for 85 Bux. http://www.partstrain.com/products/F...RD~MUSTANG.htm
Old 09-04-2005, 02:03 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot Soaring, I will definitely look on that site before I buy anything else for her, that's for sure. That is exactly the tank I have, too.

Have a great weekend and I will let ya know how she goes!