Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HELP ME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 06:53 PM
longjohn211

Default HELP ME!!!

I have a question for all of you mustang experts. On my 66 mustang there is a high pitch squeal coming from the front wheels. I have already put new cylinders in and new spring sets, but it is still making that noise. But its not as bad as it used to be. It doesn't make the noise when you're driving on a flat surface but as soon as you hit a bump it starts to chirp. Then it goes into a high pitch squeal. If anyone has any idea of whats making this noise please e-mail me at longjohn211@hotmail.com. THANK YOU

longjohn211
Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 PM
pootscratch89

Default RE: HELP ME!!!

What kind of brakes do you have? And is the chirp or squeal constant, or only when you hit bumps?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The first thing I would do would be to hit those grease zerks of the upper and lower control arms with a healthy dose of grease. Then I would grease the wheel bearings. (which is what I suspicion to be your problem)
Then I would inspect the brakes to make sure there is no metal to metal rubbing going on. Then while I still had it in the air, I would shake the devil out of the suspension to see if there are any loose parts.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:21 AM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

This is a quote from D. Taylor & T. Wilson`s Mustang Restoration Handbook:

" - Another early Mustang problem is worn and squeaky upper A-arm pivots. Instead of installing a zirk fitting at these points, Ford merely put a plug in the grase hole. Thus, at every chassis lube, the mechanic was supposed to remove the plug, and apply grease with a needle-tipped grease gun. Needless to say, not too many early upper A-arm pivots got lubed. The result is worn, squeaky pivots. Push up and down on the front fender as in a shock-absorber test and you`ll hear these joints squawking away. Fixing these noisy joints means a complete front-suspension disassembly-"

I had the similar experience with my car last year, and when inspecting the front suspension i found that the wear on the bushing threads going in the upper A-arm, had caused them to unscrew themselves. I learned a trick from an old ford performance manual: Fill the bushings with grease, screw in the bushings, and then point weld them to the upper A-arm.
Works like a charm (in my case).
Good luck
Old 09-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, I guess a lot of old Mustangs don't have grease zerks on the control arms, but mine does. I also have one of those funny looking nozzle tipped grease guns that I very rarely ever use, but I guess if anyone has the plug you remove to get some grease in there, then I guess that would be the gun to do it. Or, just get an "L" shaped zerk and screw in there, assuming it has threads. If not, then get a good set of tool and dye cutters and make your own. At any rate, those joints need some grease.