Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 07:58 PM
MattCA
2nd Gear Member

Default Tuning?

my '65 is running a little rough. when it idles, every now and than it like...skips i guess. kind of jerks you know? can i fix this just by justing the carb and how should i do this? or is it probably in the distributor and needs adjusting and how do i do that? oh yea, its a 200 ci strait 6 cyl. thanks.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuning?

The skip in it's heartbeat is due to a couple of things. The stock point system is slightly erratic (as is the voltage regulator), and the "log" intake does not mix well. And quite frankly these are very old carburetors, that even when rebuilt really are past their useful life. you can get them close, but it sure isn't fuel injection.

The carb adjustment is done by finding the highest rpm point while adjusting the mixture screw. If you get much over 850 rpms you are off the idle circuit and need to reduce the idle speed adjustment screw, then proceed with the mixture adjustment. Make sure your timing is optimized before adjusting the carb.

I would suggest spending some time at http://fordsix.com/ This is a great source of information on the venerable Ford six cylinder.

Best of luck,
Old 09-04-2005, 06:34 PM
MattCA
2nd Gear Member

i think it might just be the idle speed. when i give it a slight bit of gas while idleing, the bump goes away. now i just need to figure out how to adjust the idle lol.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I will assume the carb is an Autolite (Motorcraft) 2100. But if not, most carbs are adjusted basically the same way. Like most other carburetors there are two screws on the front base to adjust the mixture. Turning them in leans out the idle mixture. Never seat these screws with a lot of pressure as they are needles which will distort and damage the soft metal of the carburetor. I would start with around 2 turns out on each screw and adjust equally from there using a vacuum gauge attached to manifold vacuum to adjust for peak lean vacuum. In other words, turn them out till you get maximum vacuum, then turn them in till it starts to drop off, and back them out slightly from that point to regain peak vacuum. This carburetor is very forgiving for idle adjustments, so don’t sweat it.