Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

NEED HELP CHOOSING CORRECT STALL

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I hesitate to do this, but here you go...take it with a grain of salt. At least you can see the theoretical torque curve should you have a really good engine.
Attached Thumbnails NEED HELP CHOOSING CORRECT STALL-302-afr-e303.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

IMO, the need for a high stall converter is further mitigated when we are talking about a relatively light car like your 67.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
I hesitate to do this, but here you go...take it with a grain of salt. At least you can see the theoretical torque curve should you have a really good engine.
Based on your curves I'd say you overstated some of the rest of the data due to the high output. Still, it might be useful for conversation but I'd hate for the OP to think he was getting 390hp out of just an E303.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
Based on your curves I'd say you overstated some of the rest of the data due to the high output. Still, it might be useful for conversation but I'd hate for the OP to think he was getting 390hp out of just an E303.
Betcha I am getting damn close to 400 + or - a little with my E-303 equipped 408...

I can't back it up, seat of the pants thing....... (but I can smoke my 15" wide M/T drag radials at will......)

My way of thinking had changed when I built this engine. We built Jim's 408 with a cam that is too radical for the street, it is OK, but it became a pain in the *** after a while.

When I built my engine I was thinking that a Vic Jr. headed 408 9.2 to 1 c/r would make plenty of power with a "mild cam" (like a e-303) and it does.

(the efi I used maxes out at 425 hp on the baseline injectors, so 425 was the max I was looking for, I think I get pretty close)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I always read these "stall speed" threads with a smile on my face. People are SERIOUS about this stuff. I can't add anything of value, since I'll die with a stick shifter in my hand, but from my POV, these threads are similar to people talking about politics!

I am not calling anybody out, just giving an observation.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Probably the closest thing to choosing torque converter stall speed over in the manual tranny world is picking out a flywheel diameter and weight. But the average MT enthusiast doesn't go that deep into the powertrain, and I suspect that the folks who actually do - aren't talking.

What surprises me with respect to torque converters is not seeing any mention of stall ratio either in these discussions or in any of the catalog descriptions. Though I guess it would first have to be in the advertising before it would ever creep into most folks' discussions.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-29-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:42 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

You really have to conduct trials in a lab enviroment, too, for stall ratio to matter. The closest the consumer comes to that is pro or semi-pro drag racing with track dedicated cars. What % of the market do you really think is buying converters for that use?

I'm guilty of deliberate build up of the flywheel and clutch combo. My problem is the same as 98% of the performance torque converter buyers. My cars aren't dedicated to one use. If you drive your car around town at all, then go drag racing one weekend, road racing another, or even just want to really enjoy a seriously twisty road, you can't choose a clutch/flywheel combo that is right for everything.

I did pick the heaviest chunk of iron I could get for my old hotrod, but I'm building an aluminum LS1 with a pal to go in his pro-touring '67, too. That one has been lightened, balanced to the 'enth degree and is getting a tiny little multi disc clutch. I'm sure you get the reasoning in both.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
Betcha I am getting damn close to 400 + or - a little with my E-303 equipped 408...
)
Were we talking about your 408 or the OP's 302?? Me? I was on topic discussing a 302 with mid level top end kit. Feel better now getting that out there?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
You really have to conduct trials in a lab enviroment, too, for stall ratio to matter. The closest the consumer comes to that is pro or semi-pro drag racing with track dedicated cars. What % of the market do you really think is buying converters for that use?
Stuff done at the top levels of racing has a way of filtering down to the lower levels. Sometimes slowly.

When I can clearly remember mention of stall ratio along with seeing a few numbers somewhere (2.2-ish, IIRC) it just seems like something's missing.

Norm
Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
Were we talking about your 408 or the OP's 302?? Me? I was on topic discussing a 302 with mid level top end kit. Feel better now getting that out there?
I think I was just making casual conversation while being on topic a little at the same time, I think I mentioned it was a 408 even in the same sentence....

The point I was making (while acknowledging the 408) is that good power CAN be made with a fairly mild cam and good breathing heads.

Relax, I didn't mean to pick on you..............

Quick Reply: NEED HELP CHOOSING CORRECT STALL