Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 Mustang Ignition Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:45 PM
brasta5

Default 69 Mustang Ignition Please Help

This winter i tore it down put new racing 9inch rearend, all new suspension, steering linkage, wheel and tires, engine, and tranny. I had a 302 and a C4, now i have a 351W and TKO 600. My problem is that i cant get it to start. I have new ignition, starter solenoids, and a high torq mini starter. I have power to one side of solenoid but wont pass through unless i switch the two small plug on wires. But then it starts cranking when you turn to aux power or when you turn your key on without actually starting. I bought a new ignition and it still did the same, also i checked solenoid not it eaither any ideas. I did have the whole dash out and a new alt where i dont need the regulator in case that has something to do with it. Please help put around
20K into it this winter and summers almost over want to drive. HELP
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

from what you write there I'm quite sure that we'll get you driving for the summer ;-)

I once posted a starter relay (selonoid) diagram. How it should be wired. This will help explaining how it should be wired. But from what you write:
"when you swap the two in the middle it will crank when put to ignition already"
--> fantastic news. starter works ;-) but it's the wrong way around. swap it back the other way so that does not happen.

Check the diagram in the post so you understand the way it works,

If I were a betting man, I'd have 5$ on that you removed the C4 fropm the car which had a neutral safety switch and shoved in a manual that does not have one. So the connector is either cut somewhere or hanging loose.

It was originally two cables that plugged in the C4 and what you need to do is to 'bridge' them. (connect one with the other).
One end will be from your ignition switch start position, the other is going to your selonoid. if you have no NSafety switch, or you cut the cables the signal from key in start positionn will never go to the 'S' port at the selonoid ...

http://www.gascc.ie/index.php?option...tech&showall=1

kalli
Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
brasta5

Yes you are right i have a nss for the tko but im not sure whick wires are for it off the c4 harness. there are two plugs one with 4 wires and another with just one which went to the shifter not the acual tranny. Can you help with this Kalli
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i checked the wiring diagram for 1969 mustang and there's a 4 pin connector going to the gearbox.
2 pins (of the four) have the color red/blue and they are for the neutral safety switch)
2 pins (the other two) have the color black/red and they are for reverse light.

Just in a simple test unplug that 4 pin connector (if it's connected to anything), put the car in neutral (for saftety sake). Then cross the two pins with the red/blue color (make up a little connector, or depending what kind of connector it is you might use something like a paperclip). Once they are bridged see if the car starts (in a normal fashion: you turning the key the full way)

if the TKO has a NSS, check how that should be wired up, or find an electrical diagram for that gearbox and post that so I might be able to hook that up to the box properly (so that you can use it ...)
If the TKO has two connectors (wires for the NSS), then you only have to connect the two red/blue with that (it does not matter which way around). If there's only one one pin in the NSS then _do not_ hook it up. you'll need to use a relay then if you want to use the switch. I can give details, just don't hook it up if it's one wire only at NSS

Last edited by kalli; 08-18-2011 at 05:36 AM.