Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 200ci Motocraft/Autolite 2100 Overheat and Dies in R/D

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'd say at least bad vacuum leak and/or timing too late.
as mentioned above it's either running too lean (not enough fuel), or the timing is so late its still burning when the exhaust valves are opening so to speak. However retarded timing usually causes the idle to drop down instead of increasing it.

you should definetly do the coolant test as above, maybe that explains the water leak. check the oil. what color is it? what color smoke does the engine produce

as for glowing pipes and high idle: check every hose/tube that is connected to the intake manifold or carburetor (if it's going to brake booster or automatic gearbox) i'd disconnect it for a test and block it on intake/carb side. so it cannot suck any air through there. once thats done restart the engine and see if that made a difference. if yes report back. if not with engine running spray wd40 or something like that around the intake and carb (not into the carb). but where intake gaskets and carburetor base gaskets are. if the engine idle changes while you do that investigate the spot you sprayed at. possible vacuum leak there

last but not least advance the timing a bit. best get a timing gun and set it to 6-8 degrees with vacuum disconnected and plugged with car in drive (once you get the idle down) ...

unfortunately it seems there's more than one thing off
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
beatlesrcool1964

Originally Posted by rtintwo
Thanks i just wanted to make sure you were adjusting the curb idle screw and you are.

Im not familiar with that adapter plate but i dont see any holes for the two manifold studs the 1100 used. Am i missing them in the pic or did you have to drill your own holes for them? Im asking because i am wondering if you have a vacuum leak from your adapter plate.
The adapter has an insert that covers the holes, here is a better pic:

http://www.classicinlines.com/prodim...orinsertCL.jpg
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM
beatlesrcool1964

Originally Posted by kalli
i'd say at least bad vacuum leak and/or timing too late.
as mentioned above it's either running too lean (not enough fuel), or the timing is so late its still burning when the exhaust valves are opening so to speak. However retarded timing usually causes the idle to drop down instead of increasing it.

you should definetly do the coolant test as above, maybe that explains the water leak. check the oil. what color is it? what color smoke does the engine produce

as for glowing pipes and high idle: check every hose/tube that is connected to the intake manifold or carburetor (if it's going to brake booster or automatic gearbox) i'd disconnect it for a test and block it on intake/carb side. so it cannot suck any air through there. once thats done restart the engine and see if that made a difference. if yes report back. if not with engine running spray wd40 or something like that around the intake and carb (not into the carb). but where intake gaskets and carburetor base gaskets are. if the engine idle changes while you do that investigate the spot you sprayed at. possible vacuum leak there

last but not least advance the timing a bit. best get a timing gun and set it to 6-8 degrees with vacuum disconnected and plugged with car in drive (once you get the idle down) ...

unfortunately it seems there's more than one thing off
I have tried the vaccume test with carb cleaner. I could not find a spot where the idle changed while spraying. i'm working on the timing now.

Thanks again to all who have given input thus far. I will report back in a few hours.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
beatlesrcool1964

The oil is slightly more yellowed and there is only smoke when the car backfires and it is white. Sometimes it backfires out of the carburetor.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
beatlesrcool1964

Good news and bad news:

I adjusted the timing by turning the distributor until the idle raised significantly, then I adjusted the idle on the carburetor as low as I could. The car now has a beautiful purr and I can shift into reverse and drive no problem.

Now for the bad news:

While my rear driver's side wheel responds properly, the passenger side does not. It struggles to move and when it does it only moves while accelerating. Any thoughts?

Also, my pipe and manifold no longer turn red but the engine is still hotter than it should be.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Is this while the car is up on jack stands? If its non-posi it won't spin, its called the peg leg.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
beatlesrcool1964

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
Is this while the car is up on jack stands? If its non-posi it won't spin, its called the peg leg.
I just figured that out, thank you

All seems to be well at the moment. Except:

The battery wont hold a charge and I'm still running a little hot.

I'm going to try and rewire the alternator, if it doesn't work I'll just replace the alternator.

Now I need to create some custom accelerator linkage for the modified carb setup. Hopefully there will be no more issues. Thank you all.