Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Trans ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 PM
BabyHuey
1st Gear Member

Default Trans ?

Hello.. I'm wanting to switch my car to a manual. After doing some of the reading on here, it doesn't seem to difficult. My questions are... Will any set of pedals from a 65 or 66 car work? Also I have found a 4spd Toploader from a 65, are there more than one style of 4spd? Do I want to look for something in particular?

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

either a 4 speed or t5 are common, toploader is period correct.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM
BabyHuey
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. How about the pedals? Are they the same in all 65 and 66 cars?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Yes either will work for the pedals. For the 4 speeds their are many different, such as the t-10 and the ford toploader. And with the top loader their are close ratio and wide ratio gears, also their are big block toploaders and small block ones. Close or wide doesnt really matter just has to do with gearing, but big block will not fit a small block without switching few things. I would go with a t5 if you are starting with nothing. I like my toploader but limits ur rearend gears being 4 speed, linkage can bind, ect. If you get the tag numbers on the trans your looking at someone should be able to tell you if it will work with ur set up. Might run into tail shafts being different lengths.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
BabyHuey
1st Gear Member

What are the differences between the T10 and Top Loader? Is one better than the other? Also the numbers from the case of the Top Loader I'm looking to buy are "C8AR 7006-D W1". Any info would be appreciated.

Also I've had the T5 in my Fox Body Mustangs and would like to try a 4 speed. I want something that shifts firmly! All my T5's seemed mushy, even after adding a short throw shifter with positive stops.

Another concern maybe I can get some clarification on is... I read of vibrations and having to "clearance" the tunnel on 65's with a T5 conversion. Can someone please elaborate on this for me.

Thank you again
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

The numbers above are the case numbers would need the id tag numbers as the numbers above could still be a small block or big block. Here are the numbers you are looking for http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/idchart1.htm HEH or RUG. T-10 would work but toploader is a better choice, just a better trans toploader is stronger ect.

If you want a 4 speed go for it i just say that t5 because i enjoy driving my 65 everywhere and would love to have a 5th gear for highways and so i could put in steeper gears then the 273's now and not be screaming down the highway at 65. The toploader is a great trans tho.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 AM
paulo
1st Gear Member

Toploader is nice buy does not have a overdrive. If you are doing highway driving, T5 will be better. You can improve the shifting of the T5 by replacing the shifter. Most of stock ones are not very good.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Differences between the T-10 and the Toploader - The toploader has the inspection/access plate on the top of the case, whereas the T-10 has the access plate on the driver's side of the case. Both transmissions were good when new; however, the T-10 is a real POS when it gets worn. It likes to pop out of second and/or third gear at absolutely the wrong time. I don't know of any good fix for the problem. The toploader was built quite a bit stronger than it had to be and continues to this day to be a really tough transmission. Almost all internal parts are available new, so the trans can be freshened up as needed. As for positive shifts, the toploader and the T-10 are externally linked shifters that can get out of adjustment, whereas the T-5 is internal. In my experience, the T-5 is a bit more reliable shifting than either the T-10 or the toploader.
Best,
Al
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I like the toploader but they have became pricey over the years.Have you looked at a tko500 or maybe a t56 since you don't like the t5?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM
BabyHuey
1st Gear Member

Well I couldn't get to the Toploader fast enough. UGH!!!

I have not looked into those other 2 trans, but may have to. What are the clearance and vibration issues i've heard about the T5 swap into a 65 all about?

Quick Reply: Trans ?