Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Mustang Radiator? Help on choosing one!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:58 AM
ynasef

Default 67 Mustang Radiator...Help!

Hi everyone...I am really confused about which radiator and mechanical fan combination is the best for cooling...I am moving to Arizona and temperatures can reach 120+ and wanted to know which radiator to get... I have a 1967 Coupe and wanted to know what size radiator, aluminum vs. brass/copper?, and which is the best mechanical fan setup? Thank you

Last edited by ynasef; 09-04-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 PM
w3!h311

What kind of rad do you have on now? You probably still have the old copper/brass unit with mechanical fan so here is what you need to do. Upgrade to a full aluminum radiator. Same dimension a 2 row AL core matches a 4 row Cu core. And definitely get electrical fan, the old mechanical runs in sync with engine rpm so think about a 120 day and you are sitting in traffic.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I installed a '68 24" AC radiator and 6 blade fan/shroud with thermostatic clutch. After research I preferred this setup for it's additional cooling and stock look. The thermo clutch will freewheel at higher rpms when not needed.

There are a lot of choices out there depending on appearance, cost, additional upgrades required. You will probably needed to upgrade the amps of your alt. to 70A+ as the electric fans are a big draw on the system when they kick on/off/on.
Jon
Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you go with an aluminum radiator, you need to make sure you get a decent one with 1" cores. A lot of the ones on ebay (ie. Champion) use 5/8" or smaller cores, which really get you no better cooling power than a copper/brass unit.

This is the one I'm looking at getting, when I get the funds together.

A thermal clutch fan setup should work fine. Flex fans are noisy and inefficient. The clutch can be had at any good parts store, but the fan needs to be sourced from a Mustang parts vendor.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

What do the rest of you have?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 AM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

I have one of the Champion ones on ebay and it works fantastic. It works in NYC traffic in ridiculous heat and hummidy. That said I sent back the shroud and fan as the shroud seem to cause blow back and the fan was underpowered.

My 68 with a original iron top and bottom 302 with old air a/c

-Champion 3 row aluminum

-Spal 16in high performance (air flow seems to be king especially in traffic)
http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30102049

-185 degree electronic relay

-water wetter (debatable potency)

-correct thermostat (was causing false reading)

Make sure you get your system chemically and pressure flushed if you system is or or the old coolant was funky

Pics of my setup
https://picasaweb.google.com/W.Casag...eat=directlink
Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 AM
w3!h311

2 row of 1" tube is not the latest technology, but it is the most common tho. Champion's 3 row is interesting, 3 row of 1" tube would be over kill. And I don't believe champion actually builds the core, they propably just weld tanks on so it will be interesting to see how the quality holds up.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 AM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

I am happy but only have one summer and a few thousand miles on it. Customer service was amazing. Didnt send back the shroud and fan till long after the 30day period but did give them a heads up. Instead of a refund I opted for an overflow tank that I havent installed yet. Looks quality though.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:13 AM
ynasef

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!! When I bought my car it already had a 20" aluminum radiator installed...Im not sure if its a 2 row but I think it is and dont know how thick the tubes are....I have a mechanical fan setup...I want to get a 3 row aluminum radiator but dont know who has good rads for a decent price
Old 09-16-2011, 07:19 AM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

i'm not saying it's the best, but what i have.

24" Griffin Aluminum

Thermo Clutch Fan Setup

Flowkooler HV Pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 Mustang Radiator? Help on choosing one!