Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Electrical Issues and what are these?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 AM
AscolA
2nd Gear Member

Default Electrical Issues and what are these?

I had a previous post about my Radio. When trying to get it working, I must of messed something up, because now my car won't start. I tried jumping it, with no luck. A tow truck gave me a jump with a power pack, fired right up. I drove it home turned it off, and went to start it again, and it was dead. I get a little bit of juice, but when I try to turn it over I get that ticking noise, then nothing.

I took a look under the dash and decided to clean up the mess of wire from the PO. I cleaned everything up, but the battery still won't take a jump. I found these wires under the dash. They weren't connected to anything. Any idea what they go to?

Any idea why the battery won't hold a charge. It's not that old. Any suggestions for trouble shooting would be great.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Electrical Issues and what are these?-one.jpg   Electrical Issues and what are these?-two.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Gun Jam

The thingies in the picture look like 12 volt 15 amp breakers.

I dont know what they go to for sure BUTTTT... the yellow wire is often used for power to a radio yellow indicates power (to battery for memory I THINK) but that could just be coincidence those could have been used for anything.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Those are circuit breakers designed for automotive use with pigtails on them. They are used in lieu of fuses for circuit protection. Based on the spade terminations they were used for something that could be easily removed ( like a 8 track player)

Regarding your battery issue - make sure the terminations are clean and tight. It would appear based on your comments that it runs OK once started, so that infers the alternator is producing power.
Lastly, if the terminals are good, it's time to do a load test and specific gravity test on your battery. Take it to your local Auto parts store if you don't have the tools to check the battery at home.

Last edited by jlg2002; 09-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Disconnect the negative battery cable and use a 10 amp charger to charge the battery. Before connecting the negative cable back, put an ammeter between the cable and the battery post to see if there is any juice flowing. If there is, begin pulling fuses one at a time until there is no more current flowing, that is the circuit with the short.

Those are definitely circuit breakers. Not stock on your car, must have been from a prior "upgrade".
Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 PM
AscolA
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys. The terminals are clean, and the battery is only a few years old.

When I get home I'll do some tests on the battery.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

My 68 did the same thing a few years ago and it ended up being the starter. would only kick if you jumped it.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
AscolA
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
Disconnect the negative battery cable and use a 10 amp charger to charge the battery. Before connecting the negative cable back, put an ammeter between the cable and the battery post to see if there is any juice flowing. If there is, begin pulling fuses one at a time until there is no more current flowing, that is the circuit with the short.

Those are definitely circuit breakers. Not stock on your car, must have been from a prior "upgrade".
So just to be clear on this, I'm putting the ammeter on the negative post and the negative cable (while the cable is off). Does the ignition have to be turned at all? Should I pull a fuse test, then put the fuse back and move to the next one? or... pull a fuse, test, pull the next fuse, test, and so on?

Last edited by AscolA; 09-13-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Yes, the meter goes between the battery post and the cable. Leave ignition off as its draining with the ignition off. Pull one fuse, check, if no change put it back and try another fuse. One of the circuits is draining your battery, when you find out which one (thru the method I described), report back and we can probably help you with the next step.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 AM
AscolA
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
Yes, the meter goes between the battery post and the cable. Leave ignition off as its draining with the ignition off. Pull one fuse, check, if no change put it back and try another fuse. One of the circuits is draining your battery, when you find out which one (thru the method I described), report back and we can probably help you with the next step.
Thanks for the explanation. So I was able to determine that the lower fuse is the culprit.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
AscolA
2nd Gear Member

TexasAxMan, or anyone else, do you think you can help me with this? I gotta get the car up and running.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues and what are these?