Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
69FB
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Fastback
https://www.facebook.com/brad.duckworth.773

I agree with the above posts. If you are looking for horsepower and fuel economy you might want to look into the 6 speed transmissions and match it to the gearing in the rearend. You can get a high horsepower engine but to really get the gas mileage you need a 5-6 speed.

I do not know if you're looking to have a stick or automatic though. TCI has a very expensive 6 speed automatic but I'd recommend a gear vendors which is cheaper up front and not something you have to heavily modify.

As for the front suspension have you looked at the TCP front suspension? I know I was looking at it for my 69 sportroof, but have decided to save up for the Griggs suspension, even if it is expensive.

My brother has the Baer 14" 6 piston drilled and slotted on his 07 shelby and he really loves them.

On a side note if this is your daily driver who do you have for insurance? I cannot find anyone that will talk to me about insuring my 69 as a daily.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
69FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965fastback View Post
Are you wanting to keep a carb or go fuel injection? Both can get good mpgs if tuned properly, but IMO I would rather have the reliability of EFI for my daily driver, but thats just me.
I currently have a carb and it is well tuned but I cant reap any benefits 'cause of my 3 speed, that car is loud on the highway were most of my driving is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musnicki
I make sure that when I start a project on Friday night that hopefully I will be turning the last bolt by Sunday night so that I will be able to drive to work on Monday
I know what you mean. once i was changing my carb and everything went ok, except when i tried to turn it on.....my fuel pump had died and i couldnt figure it out. that was not a good couple of days, had to call out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang302
A 331 or 347 with good heads and a custom cam will make well into the 400hp range and still get over 20mpg on the highway with a 5 speed. Just gotta be willing to spend the money.
I really hope so, I would like to keep it Ford and preferably not mess with the shock towers either

Thanks for the tips. I am leaning for the 302 with an EFI
Rols574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69FB View Post
On a side note if this is your daily driver who do you have for insurance? I cannot find anyone that will talk to me about insuring my 69 as a daily.
well, because it is a daily i was able to insure it with a couple of the major companies ( i switched a few years back with no problems) currently its GEICO but i plan to switch to one that deals with classics.
and i like to keep it manual
Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

I think Hagerty will insure for a daily.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Can some one tell me the difference between these 2? i dont understand the price difference

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...sp?T1=NR362+01
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...asp?T1=LED2+01
Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #16
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

The first kit has many small LED's. The second kit has three rows of large, surrounded by small.

I would take a look at these as Mustang Project is known to have the best LED's as well as great customer service:

http://mustangproject.com/ProductDis...8-adeedd738c56
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

I'm not too crazy about sequentials, which is why i linked those but if the kit you mention could be programmed not to do that then i definitely get those. I'll give them a call

Thanks for the link
Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69FB View Post
I agree with the above posts. If you are looking for horsepower and fuel economy you might want to look into the 6 speed transmissions and match it to the gearing in the rearend. You can get a high horsepower engine but to really get the gas mileage you need a 5-6 speed.

I do not know if you're looking to have a stick or automatic though. TCI has a very expensive 6 speed automatic but I'd recommend a gear vendors which is cheaper up front and not something you have to heavily modify.

As for the front suspension have you looked at the TCP front suspension? I know I was looking at it for my 69 sportroof, but have decided to save up for the Griggs suspension, even if it is expensive.

My brother has the Baer 14" 6 piston drilled and slotted on his 07 shelby and he really loves them.

Geico is who I use to insure my 68 as a regular vehicle. $800 in NYC with no restrictions and even bumped up a few things since if I hit anything it will be a Merc or BMW. They wont do theft though which sucks. Progressive would but it add $1000 a year and they wont tell you what kind of value they would pay out,

My 68
wgc68nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Vehicle: 2003 GT
jake03gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoReins View Post
I think Hagerty will insure for a daily.
My dad has hagerty and he said that they won't let you do that. You have to have another vehicle. I was going to put hagerty on the 67 until he told me that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965fastback View Post
Are you wanting to keep a carb or go fuel injection? Both can get good mpgs if tuned properly, but IMO I would rather have the reliability of EFI for my daily driver, but thats just me.
Carbs can be just as reliable, my 67 is my DD and I've had it 4 years.

Last edited by 1slow67; 09-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
1slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #20
SchumiJr

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang
Schumijr
Send a message via MSN to SchumiJr

You could use State Farm and insure under a stated value policy. Its been about 10 yrs since mine has been insured but at least they used to do it that way.
SchumiJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
50, 67, 67fastback, 69, classic, daily, dailydriverrestoration, driver, drivers, fastback, mustang, quarter, restoration, rolling