Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Fastback - Daily Driver/Rolling Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Default 67 Fastback - Daily Driver/Rolling Restoration

I'll start with a warning:
It is a daily driver, updates will be slow to come by.

I also would like to state my goals with this car and I'm open to suggestions as you will see I'm undecided in a lot of major things, so if you can give advice I will certainly welcome it.

Here is what my car looks like as of today

It has rust issues in both the rear quarters behind the wheels, driver side door and driver side fender, also behind the wheel. This will be my daily / main car. I bought this car because I love the style, not to be sitting in a garage %99 percent of the time. Since it is a daily driver I plan on upgrading the basic safety aspects of the car first. I have ordered the Wilwoods 12" drilled and slotted brake kit. People have told me to avoid the drilled rotors because as is stated in the Wilwood website " A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage; however, for street and occasional light duty track use, they will work fine". Im more interested in the latter part since as I said it is a daily driver and I'm more interested in looks (I hope that didnt turn some of you off) I had to get bigger wheels because the rotors would not fit with the Cragars I have on now. So I got these 17x8" wheels

Since I may not be the only driver the Wilwood Tech suggested i get the 7/8" bore master cylinder. Im having some electrical gremlins and instead of trying to bandaid the problems I would like to slowly transfer the electrical harness to an ISIS system. I talked to Jay from ISIS and he said that it was possible to transfer the basic functions to an ISIS over weekend projects (ie. tail lights one weekend head lights another and so on)
So that's what being done in the immediate future. now come the questions and where I'm completely open to suggestions.
Since it is a daily driver my main concern is MPG but I would ideally like to be in the 400HP range and have 20+ MPG. Im not sure any of the Ford pushrod engines get me there (please correct me if I'm wrong). The new Coyote engine can get me there but I would have to do so by messing around with the shock towers (but I really like this engine). I really dislike the MII suspension (again aesthetics) and Grigg's is a little steep in the wallet. I'm kinda leaning towards the Struts from Gateway Performance but again I have to notch the towers. Another option could be an LSx motor. I hear they are smaller and MAY fit without having to touch the towers at all (can anyone confirm?). In the rear I'm leaning towards the g-Bar TCP system.

Kinda long winded so I'll keep the rest for another time. Please do chip in with your opinions.

Thanks

Last edited by Rols574; 09-15-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Kind of off-topic, but all I'm getting here for pictures are those little red X thingies.

But I think I know where they came from, so I'll look over there for now.

Norm
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

A little 302 with about 8 lbs of boost would do the job. The best I can tell the Twin Turbo car gets around 22 MPG and I'm still tweaking the A/F. Pictures are not there.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

let me know if that fixed it. I dont get the insert image toolbox so im typing in the code for it
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Now there up.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
ponyboychris

Good luck. I have a non-rolling resto going.

Share some more of your ideas. It's always nice to hear of other people's tastes. Disc brakes are a must for these old cars in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rols574
People have told me to avoid the drilled rotors because as is stated in the Wilwood website " A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage; however, for street and occasional light duty track use, they will work fine". Im more interested in the latter part since as I said it is a daily driver and I'm more interested in looks (I hope that didnt turn some of you off)
It'll depend on how hard you use the brakes, more specifically how hot you get them. Most street driving and autocrossing is not that hard. Open tracking and hillclimb/hard driving in the mountains is or can be.

I had to get bigger wheels because the rotors would not fit with the Cragars I have on now. So I got these 17x8" wheels
That's a good thing in and of itself, as there is very little worth buying for a performance-oriented 3000# or heavier car in 15" or smaller tires short of maybe an R-compound or two.

Norm
Old 09-18-2011, 12:23 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

Are you wanting to keep a carb or go fuel injection? Both can get good mpgs if tuned properly, but IMO I would rather have the reliability of EFI for my daily driver, but thats just me.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I thought I was the only one that used the term "rolling restoration". I make sure that when I start a project on Friday night that hopefully I will be turning the last bolt by Sunday night so that I will be able to drive to work on Monday.

Nice car.

James
Old 09-18-2011, 02:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

A 331 or 347 with good heads and a custom cam will make well into the 400hp range and still get over 20mpg on the highway with a 5 speed. Just gotta be willing to spend the money.

Quick Reply: 67 Fastback - Daily Driver/Rolling Restoration