Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Got the new project home(picture heavy)

Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 AM
Detector
1st Gear Member

Default Got the new project home(picture heavy)

After a week of waiting, which seemed like months, I was finally able to get the owner down to buy the new project. Loaded it up and brought it home for a closer inspection. It is indeed an early 1965(1964 1/2) and it still has the original 260 not a 289. I was curious when I saw from the pictures it was a 1964 1/2 but had a 2V carb. The 1964 1/2 289 was a 4V D code. This is a F code.

Lots of work to be done as the years of sitting has taken a toll. We had to destroy one front brake hub because it was locked for probably a leaking brake cylinder and rust setting up like concrete. Someone has put floor pans in but did a crappy job and didn't cut out the old ones. A little bit of cancer in the inside bottom rear quarters and frame rails. Other than that everything else looks pretty solid.

The paint job, candy apple red, is pretty new and not bad for a driver but I was happy to see the original color was poppy red in the trunk which is the color of my first car which was a 1964 1/2 convertible 4 speed. It has also had a new fuel tank installed.

Here it is on the way home

At home in the garage after washing off the years of dust

Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Kirklandkie
1st Gear Member

i don't see much rust on it, paint looks good in the pics too. if you dont mind, what'd you pay for it?

-kirk
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for sharing, I was just up your way last weekend dragging home a 67 coupe
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Detector
1st Gear Member

I paid $4,000. The body is pretty good but there is rust on the underside. I probably paid too much but this car has special meaning to me. As I said it is almost identical to my first car. The only difference is my first 65 had a K code 289 HiPo.

Last edited by Detector; 09-16-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Detector
I probably paid too much but this car has special meaning to me.
The value of any item is determined by what somebody is willing to pay for it. You got what you wanted for a price you thought was fair (presumably - since you would not have purchased it otherwise).

Congratulations on your new acquisition.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 AM
MustangFTW

your missing a shift ****.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Lift up her skirt and show us her bottom! :-)
Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Detector
1st Gear Member

Lift up her skirt and show us her bottom! :-)
It's not a pretty sight. They put in new floor pans front and rear, but didn't cut out the old. They just look to have laid them in and spot welded them. I also see a brace? across the bottom I've not seen before like they welded it in for support?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

that looks a whole lot better than my bucket of poo poo did. i didnt really dedicate myself to getting it done so i spent about 2 years on it before I could drive it. It is about 95% done at this point. just have some finishing touches and a few paint touch ups thanks to my little dude and his handlebars. But i used it all day yesterday to run errands and it was a fine day of flogging the sh@t out of the gas peddal
Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 PM
VeroWing

That looks like a nice project, with some good options. Good luck with it and enjoy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got the new project home(picture heavy)