Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Another EFI thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rols574
Thought about that myself. Think of the LS as the best Ford motor Chevy built.
Hahaha, that's true....the conceptual design Ford sold to Chevy. It's amazing how so many people never notice things like the LS block is similar to an old Y-block, and the LS uses the same hold bolt pattern as the SBF etc etc.

Anyway, whether lines rot out or not depends on what they're made of and WHO made them. I opted for Aeroquips stainless braided Teflon over the cheapy Summit stuff for just that reason. I've never heard of anyone having problems with the Aeroquip stuff.

As for Aeromotive filters, look at the flow rates. Their standard inline filters flow 2,000lb/hr with less than 1psi of pressure drop across the filter. On a n/a engine that's well set up, that's enough for over 1,000hp worth of fuel flow through a single filter. Almost no flow restriction, which is important for external in line pumps, since they don't like to suck. And their filtration is excellent.

This is likely the last fuel system the car will see. At some point if I built a 363 that turns 7k then I might go to an Aermotive pump and run 60psi and 600hp, pretty much max it out, but unlikely to ever be more than that.

https://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1...ding-Unit.html

This is the sender with feed/return. It's 3/8 feed 5/16 return, which is enough to handle about 600hp on a n/a engine.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

nice one .. I saw myself already drilling and soldering. was thinking of maybe passing the work on to my radiator-repairman :-) thats a good option.
I'm skinned for money (trying to buy a house at the moment, well at least the Mustang will get a roof over her head as well then). So I have to enjoy watching others do it instead of myself ;-)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Just got the sending unit. The return is 1/4" and not 5/16, which might be a tad on the small side, maybe not. Could always cap it and just plum the return to the drain plug.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

can you actually have the return at bottom of tank. always thought it has to be from top so there's no pressure on the return line, I've never seen a return line feeding to bottom of tank. I'm quite surprised it's that small, but whho knows. might be sufficient if you can plumb that to the regulator. Maybe ask RMP what kinda application that is made for or tested with ?! if it's no good I'd send it back and modify the stock one (radiator shop soldering ...)
Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

what I'd love to know is: how long does the install actually take ?! they all talk about hours, but I can see myself stuck in plumbing for a day solid.
do you have any solution for the handheld unit? how to route that into the cars cabin? I heard that the connectors of that thing are huge on both sides. so you actually have to cut a hole in firewall the size of a barn door. I heard of someone ven going as far as cutting the cable and re-soldering .... let us know ...
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
can you actually have the return at bottom of tank. always thought it has to be from top so there's no pressure on the return line, I've never seen a return line feeding to bottom of tank.
I use the line in the stock sending unit as the return. No problems. The only pressure is the weight of the fuel, which isn't much.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, the only pressure on return is head pressure from the depth of fuel in the tank, which is practically nothing.

I plan on mounting the ECU inside the passenger compartment....so I have to find a way to fit the harness through the firewall. That's one area where I think FAST screwed up, they should have made the harness a 2 piece with a connector to separate the cabin from engine compartment section. D/C it to fit it through a firewall hole, then reconnect. I may just give up after 5 minutes of staring and mount the ECU in the bay, but I'd rather not.

I'm just going to use the RMP sender since I have it, and it has a 3/8 feed already, just hammer/solder/weld the 1/4 tube shut. Got a 1/4 npt to -6 AN fitting today, which will go in the drain plug location...and the ID of the 1/4 npt end is about 3/8", so now the entire return system will be 3/8 which is better anyway.

FAST did goof the order a bit, when I changed my order from in-tank TO external pump, they accidentally sent me an in-tank AND external pump, and excluded the pump relay harness. So they're 2-day airing me the harness and a shipping label to send the other pump back.

Got all the plumbing today too....I was a tad surprised the Aeromotive filters didn't come with mounting hardware, but that's no biggy. They're f'ing huge though....I can see why they flow 2,000lb/hr. They're very nice too, one end unscrews and uses an o-ringed cap to seal, with a huge *** very well made filter element inside.

I'll have to post some pics of this stuff when I get around to playing with it.

As far as install time, with the FAST plumbing kit if you know what you're doing and run hard-line you could do it in a day, 2 if you're slow about it and haven't done something like that before. If you know what to do ahead of time though it may only take a few hours. But a fuel system like I'm putting together takes time, it's tubing to cut, bending, flaring, assembling fittings, custom routing lines to account for a large pump and huge filters etc. It takes time to set it up right.

Fortunately for me I work at an engineering firm as a mechanical designer, so I was wise enough to consider "maintenance access" in the system design. But we'll see how well that actually plays out, haha!

Last edited by 67mustang302; 09-21-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya, it's a PITA with the wiring.
I was laughing at the "give up after 5 minutes of staring" ... the amount of times I have done just that ...
Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Let the fun commence....project starts today. Gonna get the fuel system in first, plum everything up, fab the pump mounting bracket etc. If things go quickly enough might have it done today, but just not as many daylight hours as their used to be this time of year.