Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
topher_csr
1st Gear Member

Default Scarebird Classic brake kit

Has anyone used these brackets before?

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=38

It looks pretty striaght forward but under their parts list for the rest of the repair they are a little vague with the parts,

Rotors: 1995-97 Ford Ranger 2WD
Calipers and Pads: 1983-95 S10 2WD
Hoses: 1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado (17")
1979 Cadillac Seville (15")

so my question is has anyone used these and if so what exact parts should i get, there are a lot of different choices for rotors alone. 9 inch or 10 inch, and so on. any help would be great. thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
topher_csr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Vehicle: 2003 GT
jake03gt

It's a pain in the ***, I don't recommend it. It may seem straight forward, but they don't tell you some things. Such as the master cylinder rod is too long for the car and none of the brake line fittings are the right size for the hoses or the new master cylinder.

Last edited by 1slow67; 09-27-2011 at 02:31 PM.
1slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

www.discbrakeswap.com
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
topher_csr
1st Gear Member

"It's a pain in the ***, I don't recommend it. It may seem straight forward, but they don't tell you some things. Such as the master cylinder rod is too long for the car and none of the brake line fittings are the right size for the hoses or the new master cylinder."

have you done the swap? right now i have power drum brakes and all the reading that i have done says that the rod is a little long on the maverick MC, but not long enough to hurt anything. so your saying that the caddy hoses wont hook up to the ford MC/dist block? thanks for anymore info. i would like to keep my booster, and the link above is for manuel discs. thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
THIS!

Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

Ive seen the Scarebird 64-66 6 cylinder kit installed, and the results looked and ran very well.
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Vehicle: 2003 GT
jake03gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher_csr View Post
"It's a pain in the ***, I don't recommend it. It may seem straight forward, but they don't tell you some things. Such as the master cylinder rod is too long for the car and none of the brake line fittings are the right size for the hoses or the new master cylinder."

have you done the swap? right now i have power drum brakes and all the reading that i have done says that the rod is a little long on the maverick MC, but not long enough to hurt anything. so your saying that the caddy hoses wont hook up to the ford MC/dist block? thanks for anymore info. i would like to keep my booster, and the link above is for manuel discs. thanks
yes I have done the swap on my 67 and to me of wasn't worth all the trouble. The rod was long enough for mine that it constantly had the brake lights on. And the caddy hoses won't fit the brake lines by the spindles, and yeah the dist block lines won't work with the new master cylinder. You have to redo all the fittings and declare them.
1slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
yes I have done the swap on my 67 and to me of wasn't worth all the trouble. The rod was long enough for mine that it constantly had the brake lights on. And the caddy hoses won't fit the brake lines by the sponsors, and yeah the dist block lines won't work with the new master cylinder. You have to redo all the fittings and declare them.
"Declare"?
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

flare?

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
topher_csr
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
THIS!

so this kit seems to be popular to, how does the manuel disc compare to power drums? Is there anyway you could work that kit into using a power brake booster?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1965, 199597, 2wd, 9, booster, brackets, brake, brakes, classic, ford, llc, mustang, power, ranger, rotors, scarebird, upgrade