Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
rodman71

Vehicle: 72 ford maverick
Default 93 mustang mini starter

Anyone ever heard of this problem? I put a 93 mustang starter on my 72 maverick and wired it up just like I have read on here both starter cables on the left side of the sylonoid and the 10 gauge wire coming off the starter to the right side of sylonoid where the battery cable used to be.When I turned the engine over the starter keep spinning until I unhooked the battery cable.So I put the old starter back on and everything worked fine.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
rodman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

IIRC, the 93 starter has a solenoid on it, GM-style. To make this work right, you'd need to eliminate your original solenoid, and extend the wires down to the one on the starter.

Click the image to open in full size.
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
JMD
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 39 Ford

I am thinking that maybe the solenoid on the new starter just got stuck...

Sounds like you had it hooked right.

JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Fastback

If you wired it like this...

And it hangs, it may just be the teeth meshing together in a bind and holding the Bendix out, and if that Bendix is out it will keep running.
Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
JMD
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 39 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
If you wired it like this...

And it hangs, it may just be the teeth meshing together in a bind and holding the Bendix out, and if that Bendix is out it will keep running.
IMO unless the car is still running points or some other ignition that requires a 12V start and a reduced voltage for the run circuit, I would generally avoid running the stock solenoid to activate the start circuit of the replacement starter, and/or totally eliminating the use of the stock solenoid for anything other than a junction block. (and even if the "S" circuit is needed, I would only CONSIDER using the stock solenoid for this purpose ONLY, WHILE still NOT running the new starter solenoid wire through the old solenoid)

Using the stock solenoid to trigger the solenoid on the replacement starter adds needles complexity to the circuit, and thereby makes it less reliable.

I know that using the stock solenoid to trigger the replacement solenoid is sometimes recommended, but IMO it is just a bad idea. (this setup stacks Ford style solenoid reliability issues onto GM style reliability issues, making the circuit many times more likely to fail)

When I used a similar starter on my Lincoln (due to a tranny swap) I hooked up both solenoids as pictured above, it didn't work right, (the starter hung) then I thought about what I was doing and asked myself WHY? Wired in a traditional (GM) manner and it worked right.

Last edited by JMD; 10-03-2011 at 12:44 PM.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Fastback

JMD, the existing solenoid is now only switching lower current so it is a bit less finicky, but I get you.

I would add, for future readers (from the future) that once these Mini's get to spinning they can create current and lock themselves into some sorta perpetual motion machine, so whatever you do dont just jumper to the small one from the big one on the starter because it can stick....it's kinda like dividing by zero.
Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
8793, 93, compared, ford, gauge, hang, install, mini, mustang, racing, relay, starter, stock, teeth, wire, wiring