Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 Mustang - Trap Door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 PM
67 S-Code Fastback GTA

Smile 1967 Mustang - Trap Door?

I have a 1967 Mustang GTA. I am working on restoring the interior, and need to determine if my car had the trap door or not? The Marti report does not list it as an option, but I once read that early on it was standard. Did all Mustang fastbacks have mounting holes for trap doors in 1967?

The "trap door" I have has speaker holes in it, so I will need to replace, but don't know if I just get a panel or mount the trap door hardware.

Pics of your 67 fastback would be greatly appreciated! Contact me if you want my normal email address. Thanks.

BTW - I bought the car torn apart, so it is not like I just need to put it back together the way I saw it ... I never have restored a fastback before.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
ponyboychris

Fastbacks had either the fixed mounted back seat or a fold down. I don't think that either configuration made a difference on the trap door - it mounted the same.

The body should have all the mounting holes needed to mount a new panel.
The panel looks like this - minus the speaker holes.
Here's a pic:
http://www.folddownseat.com/100_0903.JPG
Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I have a 1967 Mustang GTA. I am working on restoring the interior, and need to determine if my car had the trap door or not? The Marti report does not list it as an option, but I once read that early on it was standard. Did all Mustang fastbacks have mounting holes for trap doors in 1967?
Absolutely not. The fold-down/trap door was optional, and only about 50% of 67's had it. The door and fixed panel, however, both screwed onto the top edge in the same place.

The "trap door" I have has speaker holes in it, so I will need to replace, but don't know if I just get a panel or mount the trap door hardware.
Do you have the door or the plain panel screwed in place? The door is available new. The fixed panel must be found used.

If you don't have the welded-on support hook on the RH side, for the door opening handle, it's not a fold-down car.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 PM
magic_uno

Contact my friend @thestangdoc on Twitter. He is a Mustang expert. Especially classic models!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 AM
67 S-Code Fastback GTA

Originally Posted by ponyboychris
Fastbacks had either the fixed mounted back seat or a fold down. I don't think that either configuration made a difference on the trap door - it mounted the same.

The body should have all the mounting holes needed to mount a new panel.
The panel looks like this - minus the speaker holes.
Here's a pic:
http://www.folddownseat.com/100_0903.JPG
Thanks. I was actually looking at your site to determine what I had. I missed the brackets on the rear seat that I do not have. I think that tells me I do not have a trap door.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:25 AM
67 S-Code Fastback GTA

OK, I am still confused (I am used to it). if I have a fold down seat, does that mean I have a trap door? I was thinking from the PonyBoyChris's response that I might not have the trap door even though I have a fold down seat since my seat does not have the latches he showed in the photo.

I am surprised that I can not purchase a new panel. I'm not great at hunting used parts, but looks like I will have to work on my skills.

Thanks for the reply
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 AM
67 S-Code Fastback GTA

Originally Posted by magic_uno
Contact my friend @thestangdoc on Twitter. He is a Mustang expert. Especially classic models!
Excellent .... I need expert advice! I've had this car 18 years (while it has been in peices) and am just trying to restore it.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67 S-Code Fastback GTA
OK, I am still confused (I am used to it). if I have a fold down seat, does that mean I have a trap door? I was thinking from the PonyBoyChris's response that I might not have the trap door even though I have a fold down seat since my seat does not have the latches he showed in the photo.

I am surprised that I can not purchase a new panel. I'm not great at hunting used parts, but looks like I will have to work on my skills.

Thanks for the reply
OK, to reiterate my post, the fixed seat did not have a trap door, and the fold-down seat did.

Many people with fixed seat cars think they have a fold down with parts missing. The seat was the same, as was the seat back. What confuses them is the fixed seat had the same hinges holding it up, but was bolted to brackets at the top, instead of latched.

Here's a quick question- What color is the metal edging on your seat panels?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 AM
67 S-Code Fastback GTA

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
OK, to reiterate my post, the fixed seat did not have a trap door, and the fold-down seat did.

Here's a quick question- What color is the metal edging on your seat panels?

Got it ... I must have the trap door since I have a fold down seat. I have the bumpers and the seat is folded. the bad news is that my cost just went up a lot!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 AM
67 S-Code Fastback GTA

Not sure if image loaded properly ... I am new to this.

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g325/67s-code/

Quick Reply: 1967 Mustang - Trap Door?