Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bought a 67 Coupe... Looking to interchange some parts to the 65... need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Default Bought a 67 Coupe... Looking to interchange some parts to the 65... need some advice.

Ok, so I bought a car sight unseen last night.

Had my grandfather go look at it for me two nights ago, as he lives like 1 mile from where the car was.

He called me; "Buy this car". So I did.

Anyway, what I thought I was buying was a rough restoration project 67 Coupe with a rebuilt 289 and C4.

Turns out, it's a 289-4V car. Original A/C, Power Steering, Power Disc brakes car.. runs and drives EXCELLENT. Drove it an hour home.

The body sucks, but I am planning on pulling the engine and trans, putting them in the 65 and either selling the shell or parting it out.

Now, I know the engine will drop in. I'm not an idiot.

What I'm curious about swapping is the power disc brakes and power steering. Brakes I'm pretty confident will, but what parts will I need to acquire and what parts can I use?

What about the power steering? Haven't found a real definite answer yet, though a couple sources indicate it will not swap over. If it doesn't, are there any parts that will that I should keep? The cylinder has different part numbers through NPD, but again, I wanna keep whatever will swap.

I paid $1650 for the car. Cheaper than rebuilding my 289 I had, plus I get a rebuilt trans, and now a car to part out and hopefully brakes and PS. Lookin to be a good deal... Not to mention the immaculate interior and beautiful center console. Last 67 center console I had I sold on eBay for $900.

Anyway, any advice would help. Thanks!! Don't judge me for the writing on the hood or the sticker in the back window, lmao.

Name:  W79aY.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  161.4 KB
Name:  5CBul.jpg
Size:  161.6 KB
Name:  jieRj.jpg
Size:  157.5 KB
Name:  hLAHO.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  173.0 KB
Name:  2FB7T.jpg
Size:  163.8 KB
Name:  gOpIF.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  165.8 KB
Name:  rlfss.jpg
Size:  169.5 KB
Name:  Tshyh.jpg
Size:  168.7 KB
Name:  95zx0.jpg
Size:  166.3 KB
Name:  6LS9D.jpg
Size:  161.0 KB
Name:  NWQU5.jpg
Size:  167.0 KB
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Now, I know the engine will drop in. I'm not an idiot.
No, I'm thinking you probably got a pretty good deal.

What I'm curious about swapping is the power disc brakes
The brake calipers and rotors will bolt onto your existing spindles. Don't even think about the power booster. You'd have to use the 67 pedal support, which would require major surgery to the cowl.

and power steering.
You could make the pump and brackets work, but absolutely nothing else.

Brakes I'm pretty confident will, but what parts will I need to acquire and what parts can I use?
Well, you'd have to use 67 caliper hoses, and make your own lines.

What about the power steering? Haven't found a real definite answer yet, though a couple sources indicate it will not swap over. If it doesn't, are there any parts that will that I should keep? The cylinder has different part numbers through NPD, but again, I wanna keep whatever will swap.
The center link, valve, and cylinder will NOT work on your 65.
I paid $1650 for the car. Cheaper than rebuilding my 289 I had, plus I get a rebuilt trans, and now a car to part out and hopefully brakes and PS. Lookin to be a good deal... Not to mention the immaculate interior and beautiful center console. Last 67 center console I had I sold on eBay for $900.

Anyway, any advice would help. Thanks!! Don't judge me for the writing on the hood or the sticker in the back window, lmao.
Listen, do this and you'll be WAY ahead. Spend a few weekends putting a coat of red paint on the car, and sell it, using the proceeds to buy the stuff you need for the 65, BRAND NEW. Anything you pull of the 67 either doesn't fit, needs rebuilding, or both. Even the trans is wrong, it has the wrong shift pattern for the 65. You'll still have to buy center link, cylinder, and hoses to make the PS pump useful.

You can get all-new disc brakes and power steering for the 65 for about $1600. Everything will be new, no rusty rotors or worn-out seals, etc. If that car was red and running, you could get more than $3000 for it.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 10-12-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

If you part it out I'd like to know how much you would want for the taillights
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1slow67
If you part it out I'd like to know how much you would want for the taillights
I'll keep you in mind for sure. I have all the A/C components spoken for, but will likely end up parting this thing out. The frame and torque boxes are far too gone for me to be comfortable selling it as a complete car to someone.

2+2GT thanks for all your input. It's actually very helpful. What I'll likely end up doing is gutting the engine and trans, parting out the interior, console, trim, bumpers, chrome, PS, PB, etc, and use those proceeds for the power steering and disc brake conversion. Likely do a CSRP swap like on my 70.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 PM
eatmyjeep
1st Gear Member

keep the car, fix it up , give it to your first born. That should buy you some time. That car is too nice to chop up.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eatmyjeep
keep the car, fix it up , give it to your first born. That should buy you some time. That car is too nice to chop up.
I have a 70 fastback for my first born and a 65 coupe for his sister.

lol, the pics must be very deceiving, it's really not that nice of a car.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you do decide to part it out you have some nice parts there. The instrument cluster with the clock is a sweet option. The console with the factory AM radio and shifter will bring some decent coin as well, especially being black. Make sure to include the radio bracket in the sale to sweeten the pot.

The seats will be an easy sell and the steering wheel with the Cuisinart blender center pad should sell easily too even with the wheel cracked.

Another often overlooked item I have made money on is the hardware, ie. the nuts and bolts. Bag & tag them and include them with the components where possible.

btw, that's actually how the owner of NPD started in the business was selling nut and bolt kits.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Part it out! I bought a rusted hulk parts car, took the seats, door panels, rear-end, door glass, and countless other little parts. Then I sold the leftovers for $50 less than I paid for it. If you've got the room, parting out one of these old cars can be a good sideline ...
Old 10-13-2011, 04:49 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

why won't the cylinder and valve work on a 65? I am asking because I just gave my dad the whole PS set-up off a 67 for his 66. We haven't started on it yet but figured we could make it work. Sorry to hijack the thread
Old 10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

I'm going to start disassembly this weekend. Try to get it down to a shell. Trim, chrome, etc. Tarafied get's the AC components. Everything else will be up for grabs.

Quick Reply: Bought a 67 Coupe... Looking to interchange some parts to the 65... need some advice.