Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

where to start with broken motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

The gears on the shaft and cam look good too. There is enough shavings that I should definatley be able to see what went wrong.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Yeah I would agree with that, You should see damage if there is a good amount of shavings.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
MustangFTW

how does your pump look? could be a broken connecting rod? a broken pushrod? pull off the intake and see whats up there.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Out of curiosity, the gear on the disty, is that still ok?

Honestly, I'd pull the oil pump and take it apart. See if there's all sorts of crap in there. The screen should be able to filter out most things, but I've snapped a oil pump drive shaft or two from super tiny pieces getting by it.

The loud bang, well, that could be a number of things. Although, to me, it sounds like you spun a bearing.

I don't think pulling apart the upper end is going to lead you anywhere quite honestly. You need to pull the motor and do a thorough check.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Pump looks good...Ill definatley take it apart before putting the motor back together. Pushrods are all good. Connecting rods look fine. Ill have to take a look at the camshaft. I can turn the motor just fine. and I dont think I can feel a wobble. How do I check for bearings? I guess everything will have to come out. Perhaps just get it down to the shortblock and have a pro put it together. LOL yea right.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

check the bearing with visual first off if they look nasty well....also to get a definitive answer on bearing you should plastic gauge them
Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
Pump looks good...Ill definatley take it apart before putting the motor back together. Pushrods are all good. Connecting rods look fine. Ill have to take a look at the camshaft. I can turn the motor just fine. and I dont think I can feel a wobble. How do I check for bearings? I guess everything will have to come out. Perhaps just get it down to the shortblock and have a pro put it together. LOL yea right.
You can't visually check the bearings while they're all put together. However, if you have access, with the oilpan off, undo each cap from each rod and check the bearing. You can also remove the 4 of the main caps (one at a time of course) and check those bearings.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Ill jump on that tomorrow...need to go buy a good torque wrench first. Should I check crank bearings or rod bearings first? How bout cam bearings. Will it be pretty obvious which one is shredded? Do you think the motor is going to have to come out anyway? if so Id like to save myself some hurt under the car. My knee is pretty jacked up right now.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

You can do a better job of cleaning the motor and inspecting it with it out of the car.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you can replace cam bearing with the engine in the car...but id just pull it out cause it doesnt take long and youd have it up higher with better access instead of leaning over...

Quick Reply: where to start with broken motor