Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

where to start with broken motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

get under the car and have somebody use a breaker bar on the crank bolt and turn it over.Pull the plugs to make it look easier to spin.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I can turn it just fine...dont see or hear anything out of the ordinary
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

you should check all the bearings, but I don't think if they're worn or you spun a bearing that would not be the original problem.
I'd go back to that oilpump. just the fact that you lost the pressure instantly after the bang sounds to me that either the oil is now going somewhere where it shouldn't, but that would have contaminated your water or combustion chambers. If water is clean and theres no oil in chamber, then I really think the only problem can be the oilpump. that it suddenly decided to die.
I'd pull that out and inspect it ... if you're lucky (can you call it that?) it's just that ...
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
you should check all the bearings, but I don't think if they're worn or you spun a bearing that would not be the original problem.
I'd go back to that oilpump. just the fact that you lost the pressure instantly after the bang sounds to me that either the oil is now going somewhere where it shouldn't, but that would have contaminated your water or combustion chambers. If water is clean and theres no oil in chamber, then I really think the only problem can be the oilpump. that it suddenly decided to die.
I'd pull that out and inspect it ... if you're lucky (can you call it that?) it's just that ...

Kalli is right, oil pump is the lesser of many evils and since you have the pan dropped, easy to check.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Ok so how do I check the oil pump? How could that of made the load banging scrapping noise?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

You know after thinking about this more. I drove my car to the exhaust shop with open headers. I didnt notice the noise till we put exhaust on and drove off the lift. Its possible i could have happened on the way to the exhaust shop and I didnt hear it. about 5 miles of a drive. I do remember it wasnt holding an idle on the way down to shop.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Oil pumps don't normally just fail unless they get debris from something else stuck in them..Needle bearings from a failing roller rocker for example...If the engine is full of metal shaving you will need to pull it and disassemble it for cleaning..Once metal is in the oil passages it will circulate through everthing and cause lots of scoring and damage..If you post pics of the shaving someone may be able to identify what it might be from...Also if you spun a bearing it might be loose enough you can feel the clearance by just wiggling the bottom of the connecting rod..
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
Oil pumps don't normally just fail unless they get debris from something else stuck in them..Needle bearings from a failing roller rocker for example...If the engine is full of metal shaving you will need to pull it and disassemble it for cleaning..Once metal is in the oil passages it will circulate through everthing and cause lots of scoring and damage..If you post pics of the shaving someone may be able to identify what it might be from...Also if you spun a bearing it might be loose enough you can feel the clearance by just wiggling the bottom of the connecting rod..
I busted 2 oil pump driveshafts on my '79 Mustang Ghia sport (5.0, 4spd) from 2 tiny little pieces of carbon. I had rebuilt the motor and cleaned it thoroughly --or so I thought. Turns out inside the oil pump pickup, right where the screen is, there was a bunch of little pieces of carbon that were as hard as a rock. The piece that caused the pump to bind up was no bigger than a pinhead. Although, this was an aftermarket Melling high volume/high pressure pump so it had less clearance than a regular stock pump.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:19 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Here is the pieces. They are very thin but hard...not aluminum

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

pics are too small

Quick Reply: where to start with broken motor