Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1969 Mustang Tube Chassis Drag Car Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default 1969 Mustang Tube Chassis Drag Car Project

This is probably not the best place to post this topic, but I know some of you guys and decided to start here.

After having a lot of fun over the past 5 years building up my 1969 Mach 1 and having a ton of fun both racing it and driving it on the street, I have decided to get serious about building a tube chassis 1969 drag car. Going low 12s is a lot of fun, but I know that I am dramatically shorting the life of my build, and I really like driving this car on the street.

I plan to build a full tube chassis car that will certify to 7.50seconds. I do not plan to go quite that fast, but I want it to be safe, sturdy, and consistent so that hopefully I can be competitive.

I have most of the project planned out and a pretty good parts list put together for everything from suspension parts to seat belts. The one thing I am having a problem with is what to do for a body. For those of you who do not know what a tube chassis drag car is, it is basically a shell of a car mounted on a custom tube cage, frame, and suspension. The only thing of the car that will stay original will be the A pillar, roof, rear quarters, and rear panel. Most everything else will be fiberglass, or custom aluminum and sheet metal. An example...if I got a Dynacorn body, I would cut out the floor firewall, front fender supports, radiator support, trunk floor, and probably toss the steel doors. As you can see, that is 3/4 of the part that I am going to trash.

A trashy project car runs $10-15K around here and a decent car is $20k. A Dynacorn repop body is $15k. I have not been able to find anyone who makes fiberglass bodies for 69s and the ones I know of for 67-68s are pretty junky. The car is going to be pricey enough, especially since it will not be titled or street legal, so that a $15k body is really holding me back.

Do you guys have any ideas? Know anyone with a shell that can be fixed up to look decent with paint? Know of a fiberglass body manufacturer for 69s? Know of a way to get a Dynacorn body cheaper? Know a way to just get the shell of a dynacorn body?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM
MustangFTW

dude, you have probably the most sought after classic mustang ever produced in any kind of numbers, i hope you keep the exterior as it is now.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Do you know someone that runs pro-mod in a 69 mstang? Those bodies go for like 4k

Last edited by eZ; 10-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

made a phone call to a friend and e said to check out glasstek
http://www.glasstek.com/

looks like they are going to have a 69 complete body available for $4350
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

http://timmcamis.com/Store/index.php...roducts_id=384
Old 10-25-2011, 01:12 PM
MustangFTW

probably alot cheaper way to run in the 7s, That thing weighs 98lbs LOL

Old 10-25-2011, 02:11 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
dude, you have probably the most sought after classic mustang ever produced in any kind of numbers, i hope you keep the exterior as it is now.
Thank you. Yeah, I am not going to modify the outside of my current car other than to strip it down and paint it some day. That is why I am looking for something else to build out a bracket or top sportsman car.

Originally Posted by eZ
made a phone call to a friend and e said to check out glasstek
http://www.glasstek.com/

looks like they are going to have a 69 complete body available for $4350
You are the man. I thought you guys might know where to look. I have google searched for weeks and basically found nothing for a 69-70. That is basically what I was looking for. I would prefer steel just for fit and resistance to damage, but you cannot beat that price. Thanks!

probably alot cheaper way to run in the 7s, That thing weighs 98lbs LOL
Yep. I should be able to get in the 8s or even high 7s with just a Dart based small block and a little nitrous! My car weighs 3860 with me in it. Knock that down to 2400 and away you go.

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 10-25-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 PM
MustangFTW

i cant get over how sexy the 69 mach 1s are, what engine do you have in it now? 3800 seems high, do sport roofs weigh that much more?

Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

i cant get over how sexy the 69 mach 1s are, what engine do you have in it now? 3800 seems high, do sport roofs weigh that much more?
I built a 383 stroker out of a 9.5" Dart Sportsman block. It has AFR heads with a solid roller cam and all forged lower-end. I thought that was heavy too as the curb weight on the original paperwork is like 3400, but that is what the scale at the track says. That does include me, a tank of gas and a spare tire with a few tools in the trunk. 3800 is actually lighter than it used to be as I pulled out all the old heavy suspension, iron heads, OEM AC box, gigantic power steering pump, etc. and put in light weight performance stuff so it is on a little bit of a diet.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Why not buy a cheap light weight car and throw a big motor in it and drag race that?You might laugh but you can get a rx7 with a blown engine 500 bucks to a v8 swap they sell kits for it and even a kit to lose the irs for any straight axle you could want.

Quick Reply: 1969 Mustang Tube Chassis Drag Car Project