Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I need help

Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
mor2com

Cool I need help

I'm working on changing the shock towers and fender skirts on a "1 of" 1970 Mustang.

As is the standard, I've checked the frame for alignment while everything was out of the engine compartment (lower), and also did the shock towers for square and fender skirts for square (upper).

Now I'm trying to reinstall for sheet metal and to my dimay, find the right front frame rail is a 1/2" lower than the right.

Any help / advice would be appreciated
Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

One handy took to use on shock towers is a good (meaning the expensive version) export brace, bolted in place, for the duration of the job.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 PM
mor2com

Default I agree

Not only are the front frame rails off by a 1/2", but the rear tail lights fender mounting holes are 1/2" difference from left to right, rt. side being lower than the left.

Got and have installed at this time a monte carlo bar and export brace between the shock towers, holding the shock towers in situ for welding into place.

I'm not willing to go to the torch just yet, until I find out where the culprit is causing the 1/2" side to side difference. I also have a set of Global West frame extensions to weld on, but again, not until I find out where the 1/2" is coming from.

Told my wife it was probably built into the by Ford to compensate for the drivers body weight?!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Without knowing what your car is other than a 70, or how it's been used, its either twisting from torque, or it's been in an accident, or just old tired suspension. I suggest you do some more digging, start with taking the load off the suspension and remeasure. What's your panel gaps look like?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:53 PM
mor2com

Originally Posted by groho
Without knowing what your car is other than a 70, or how it's been used, its either twisting from torque, or it's been in an accident, or just old tired suspension. I suggest you do some more digging, start with taking the load off the suspension and remeasure. What's your panel gaps look like?
The tail panel is straight and the trunk lid fits real nice. The doors have both been lower panel reskinned and not rehung straight.

It was reported to me at the time of purchase that the car had been involved in a ditching on the right by the number 3 owner. The paint and body work looked o.k. for a daily driver, but nothing to write home about.

When I got into the car and found the towers cracked, I removed the car from the road for safety reasons until I could get some new B.B. towers for the additional stiffening. Upon doing the manual frame dimenisions, I found the right frame rail bent, used a engine lift hydrualic ram and pushed the right frame rail back over where it belonged.

Top of the new fender skirts are square as is the under frame dimensions.
Everyone is square except when I put the new right front fender and hood on.
Stood out in ther driveway looking at something that I could see - OMG!

Looking for ideas, got any?

Search this Thread