Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Fastback J-Code Restoration

Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Default 1968 Fastback J-Code Restoration

Some of you have followed my other project which is now in the paint process, but I thought I'd start a new thread on another fastback we have. Maybe I can redeem myself to the pursists as this car will be brought back to life as a stock 1968 J-Code. A lot of people have suggested doing a Bullitt or even a Shelby GT350 replica (as this car shares the same motor), but we have decided to take it back to original.

We call her Sally to distinguish the between two '68s.

As we were driving back home from Florida (after we dropped off Eleanor at GPR) we thought we'd pick up a one piece floor pan from NPD to save on freight. I think I have a problem.

We plan to restore as many parts as possible, replacing as few items as possible. I will paint this one myself.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

OOOO another NoReigns build threads! I am so happy with your threads so I can live vicariously through you two. My project is taking longer due to lack of tools and knowledge but working on both. Excited to see you two working on this one while Eleanor is getting paint.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM
MustangFTW

Hey stop hoggin the 68 fastbacks and them with us dammit

Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM
CandyRed07GT

From your last (And still on-going) project, you were the one getting to keep the stang. So, is this one for him? Or another one of yours?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Shoelessjoe75

Cant wait to see the updates on this one. Loved the Eleanor build. I will be using these two builds as a guide or my restoration. Will be starting on a 67 GTA S-code fastback in the next month or two
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shoelessjoe75
Cant wait to see the updates on this one. Loved the Eleanor build. I will be using these two builds as a guide or my restoration. Will be starting on a 67 GTA S-code fastback in the next month or two
Awesome! Looking very forward to your project. It makes me happy to know that they are helping people.

Yes, Eleanor in mine, and Sally will be ours, hehe. It's Aaron's turn to call all the shots on this one. Although I've already said that it will be original, I'd love to paint it black with saddle interior. I got a big N-O on that suggestion. So it looks like it will be Lime Gold with the Ivy Gold interior. Which I know a lot of people don't like that color but I actually really like it. So that's what she'll be.

Since it was so nice out yesterday we decided to head over to the shop and whipe the cobwebs off of her. We knew the floor was completely bad but we weren't sure what else we'd find. Fortunately, the owner repaired the floor with galvanized sheetmetal and used a rivet gun and glue to attach it over the old rusty floor. No cutting involved!

Ehhhh...The whole rear section of the passenger front frame rail will need replaced as well as the torque box.

Surprisingly the upper part of the seat riser isn't all that bad but it all will eventually be replaced.

The car is covered in what looks to be 2k primer.

I ran a heavy magnet over the panels where bondo is normally found underneath. So far so good.

I'm very excited about the shape that the fenders are in. I haven't conculded about the doors yet until they're stripped.

Last edited by NoReins; 11-06-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 AM
CandyRed07GT

Glad your going to TRY to share this one haha.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick this one up for?
Looking to do any work on it today?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

LOL - $6,000 at an estate auction. Yes I think I'll finish stripping the one fender I started on yesterday and perhaps getting epoxy on it, and Aaron will remove the other side of the floor.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I feel like a fly on the wall with all your updates. Glad you are sharing both your projects with us in such detail with LOTS of pictures.

Thanks again from all us slow people.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

NoReins - I am sooooo envious... Looking forward to this build as well, since I've seen the craftsmanship on the other build. For now racecars are coming first and mustang later on the list, but in the mean time, soaking up knowledge from your builds. Can't wait to see how this one progresses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 Fastback J-Code Restoration