Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New 2100 carb auto choke but no hole in manifold for heat riser tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:25 PM
carguysx2

Default New 2100 carb auto choke but no hole in manifold for heat riser tube

I have a 1966 c-code coupe I bought non-running that has a supposedly (told) rebuilt 1968 302 with a "mild cam", with a cobra 4-bbl intake and holley 4-bbl and headers. Hate headers, so we took them off. Now we are prepping to take it back to a 2-bbl setup. Have a new Pony Carb 2100 which has an auto choke, of course. Not knowing how mild or wild the cam is, we are putting on hi-po repro exhaust manifolds as a compromise between stock manifolds and headers. Just realized today that the hi-po's have no connection for the heat riser tube. I read elsewhere that I could get an extended tube and clamp it to either the exhaust or the manifold. Problem is with doing that, how do I keep debris from being sucked trhu this open hole into the choke? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by carguysx2
I have a 1966 c-code coupe I bought non-running that has a supposedly (told) rebuilt 1968 302 with a "mild cam", with a cobra 4-bbl intake and holley 4-bbl and headers. Hate headers, so we took them off. Now we are prepping to take it back to a 2-bbl setup. Have a new Pony Carb 2100 which has an auto choke, of course. Not knowing how mild or wild the cam is, we are putting on hi-po repro exhaust manifolds as a compromise between stock manifolds and headers. Just realized today that the hi-po's have no connection for the heat riser tube. I read elsewhere that I could get an extended tube and clamp it to either the exhaust or the manifold. Problem is with doing that, how do I keep debris from being sucked trhu this open hole into the choke? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
I knew a guy that had this same problem. He got a copper tube and twisted it around the exhaust manifold to pick up the heat. He squished the open end of the tube mostly shut and never had a problem with debris or anything getting in there.

If you don't want to do that I'm sure any exhaust shop could weld in a bung for it. Just drill a hole and tack a fitting to it.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 AM
carguysx2

Thanks, Jojobanks! I have heard the phrase "bung hole", but not in this context - LOL! So what exactly do u mean by "bung"?

The copper tube sounds like it should work; so if done this way, the normal fresh air tube coming from the bottom if a stock manifold is not really necessary, right?

Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 AM
RagHead
1st Gear Member

Get a choke stove repair kit from the local auto part store, everything needed is included and no problem with trash.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Drilling a hole in the manifold would be a disaster. The heat riser in the stock manifold is not a hole into the manifold, it's a passage to a stove built into the manifold. Drilling a hole would allow exhaust, with all the soot, etc., into your choke, causing it to fail quickly. Just clamp a 1/4" steel tube to the exhaust pipe, and route it normally to the choke. The small amount of dust in the air doesn't seem to be a problem. You could always run a second tube as did Ford.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
carguysx2

Thanks! Not about to drill into the manifold! So... how did Ford run a double heat tube? With a 'Y' connector?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM
carguysx2

Thanks! Looked up a pic of the kit online - how does that domed/curved plate-like part fit into the scheme of things? Does it clamp to the exhaust?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
carguysx2

Thanks, this definitely seems like the way to go! Problem solved!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:23 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Drilling a hole in the manifold would be a disaster. The heat riser in the stock manifold is not a hole into the manifold, it's a passage to a stove built into the manifold. Drilling a hole would allow exhaust, with all the soot, etc., into your choke, causing it to fail quickly. Just clamp a 1/4" steel tube to the exhaust pipe, and route it normally to the choke. The small amount of dust in the air doesn't seem to be a problem. You could always run a second tube as did Ford.
oops. sry for the misinformation.

I always assumed it was a tube going INTO the manifold. Never had a setup like that.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya, if you have headers then you just wrap a tube around the header pipe. that's more than hot enough. nothing stopping you from doing the same thing with a manifold

Quick Reply: New 2100 carb auto choke but no hole in manifold for heat riser tube