Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

hmm, no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
MustangFTW

Default hmm, no spark.

So i finally got everything put together i try and start and it cranks but its not starting up.
I have a Pertronix II with the Flame thrower II coil, I bypassed the red+white resistor wire by hooking it up to before the "plug n play" connection at the firewall, not sure if this works though, can I connect it to the peg on the back of the ignition switch?

I checked for spark by removing a plug, connecting plug wire, setting it on metal surface under hood and cranked it, nothing.

I just rebuilt the carb today and it will be getting fresh gas tomorrow.

starter works good, had it tested.

cleaned and checked all grounds.

any other ideas? throw anything out here i need suggestions!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
tomwynne
1st Gear Member

It could be the coil. I had a friend with a 68 coupe that had a brand new coil and it worked for a while then died. I had to swap it out temporarily with an old coil from my cougar and it started up fine.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

coil is the next easiest thing to check. stick a spark plug in the coil wire leading to the distributor and ground it to a metal surface. If it sparks, then you know it's just your distributor not getting the spark out.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Ya theirs only a few things it can be. Just start at the plugs and go back testing it untell u find where you go from having power to not having power. Do you have power to the coil? If yes try different coil, If no go one step back. Follow the wire back to the firewall and see if you have power through the firewall connector could be dirty or corroded connection ect. Just keep going like that testing it along the way. Their is not much to them. You could jump the wire but then you dont figure out the problem.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Also i dont think you can just jump it, im pretty sure their is a resistor wire in their for the coil. Not 100% sure, someone should know for sure on here tho.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jp1967stang
Also i dont think you can just jump it, im pretty sure their is a resistor wire in their for the coil. Not 100% sure, someone should know for sure on here tho.
dunno about the flamethrower coil or anything but it's always worked for me in the past with standard coils.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
MustangFTW

The resistor comes from the firewall, im not sure if continues past the connection into the cabin though. Should I be able to connect it to the accessory stud on the back of the ignition switch? My tach and radio work fine when the key is in. I'll take a picture of my setup today, maybe I'm making a simple mistake.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
MustangFTW

no spark from coil. used multimeter to test resistance, came out to be exactly the .6 Ohm they advertise. heres a picture of my coil.

the two red ones are the 12v from the ignition and the line from the dizzy, the black is from dizzy, the green is the tach. the other red one on the edge of the picture is the temperature one? goes to the stud on the intake manifold.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
MustangFTW

checked the voltage at the battery, it spikes right when i touch the two ends on the multimeter to there respective studs on the battery, then it drops to 0. the car cranks but could a battery that sat for 6 months result in no spark? maybe ill take it to get charged tomorrow or jump the battery.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Im pretty sure their is a pink resistor wire in the harness under the dash. Its usually by its self and they put some weird cloth mesh over it. I thought that was the resistor wire. Here is something else i found on it. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...sy-way-do.html
Seems if you still have points you want it if not then you dont need it ive never messed with it due to never had a problem with it. Do you still have points in the car?

Quick Reply: hmm, no spark.