Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Killing batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 01:17 AM
stangsrdashit
1st Gear Member

Default Killing batteries

Lately I have been going through like a battery a month. The battery I'm using is 1000/850 amps. I've got a new 100 amp alternator. I haven't changed the voltage regulator and solenoid bcause I just changed them not that long ago. I know they can go out at any time and they are really cheap, but the other day I put a voltage meter on the battery when it was brand new and it read 12.59. I cranked the car up and after like 10 minutes of running it was already up to 14. If i reved it up a little bit I could really see it climb. But, when I turned on the headlights it started dropping like a rock. I had to rev the engine to a steady rpm just to get it to stop dropping. No matter what I couldn't get it to charge with the lights on. The drives to school in the morning are killing it. I think i may have a short because when I cut just the parking lights on one of them will kinda flicker, and the turn signal indicatiors that let you know they are on will flicker too. This is really getting to be a pain. Any Ideas?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:59 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Killing batteries

could your drivebelt be slipping not allowing the alternater to charge the battery? just a suggestion.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:04 AM
stangsrdashit
1st Gear Member

Na I just changed the belt. It's good and tight, and it charges all other times, just not when the lights are on. There is a big draw coming from somewhere.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The big draw is coming from your headlights being on, and the charging system isn't keeping up. Take your Alternator to a parts place and have it tested. Also, go ahead and replace the VR. There also may be a bad or defective grounding issue. Make sure the battery ground strap is clean where it attaches to the block. Use a multi-meter to check the current at the battery with the car running and the lights on. If it is not up to snuff, then any of the above could be the problem.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:44 PM
stangsrdashit
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangsrda****

Lately I have been going through like a battery a month. The battery I'm using is 1000/850 amps. I've got a new 100 amp alternator. I haven't changed the voltage regulator and solenoid bcause I just changed them not that long ago. I know they can go out at any time and they are really cheap, but the other day I put a voltage meter on the battery when it was brand new and it read 12.59. I cranked the car up and after like 10 minutes of running it was already up to 14. If i reved it up a little bit I could really see it climb. But, when I turned on the headlights it started dropping like a rock. I had to rev the engine to a steady rpm just to get it to stop dropping. No matter what I couldn't get it to charge with the lights on. The drives to school in the morning are killing it. I think i may have a short because when I cut just the parking lights on one of them will kinda flicker, and the turn signal indicatiors that let you know they are on will flicker too. This is really getting to be a pain. Any Ideas?
I feel like I am running in circles. I already put a meter on it. I said that it charged fine with the lights off but with them on it pulls it down. The top 25 fixes sticky you posted talked about headlight shorts, but of a different kind. I was wondering if there are any switches or relays that could be draining it besides the main headlight switch. The strap is clean b/c the whole block is clean the motor only has like 2500 miles on it. Sorry if i sound like a ***** it is just really frustrating me.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

No message Trey. What is your question? Did you do anyhing I suggested?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 PM
stangsrdashit
1st Gear Member

sry bout that. I edited it to include my question. Ya i put a meter on it, and I am going to go ahead and change the VR. If that doesn't work I guess it's up to the electrical shop.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Wow soaring you just need to come to ga and Help Trey, 6mustang6, and me out. Trey and I go to the same highschool. **** we had a class together,
Old 09-11-2005, 05:33 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Man, I dont need no help. and besides, thats a long way for Glen to drive.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:37 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I see your questions on these forums. Ill have to show you a thing or 2[sm=joke.gif]

Quick Reply: Killing batteries