Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need some info about frame rails.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM
MustangFTW

Default Need some info about frame rails.

So i decided against selling the mustang, i want to restore the car as best as i can next spring and need to know if i should even tackle this job.

The main concern i have is the frame rails, i will most likely need full frontal frame rails, both driver and passenger sides. the rear seems to have been undercoated at one point in time since its practically rust free (for being a minnesota car :P) minus the quarters. So it seems from some general searching that replacing them is pretty difficult, the car will be stripped of its doors, body panels, engine and transmission and interior. How do i go about supporting the car so i can cut out the old rails? anyone have clear shots of procedure?

floor pans will most likely be replaced at this point too, or refreshed depending on what i find.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Cool on not selling the car, you have been doing good with it so far and may as well see it through.
I forgot what your car looked like under it, please post pics of its current condition underneath.
Lynn
Old 11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
MustangFTW

i have not so great picture, ill take more in a second and post them up.

driver side rail, the back portion is not so rusty as it is crumpled, looks like someone jacked it up too many times with the wrong jack, it peeled away from the floor pan.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 AM
MustangFTW

thats just water on the floor the passenger side is pretty much the same except that i welded a steel plate to the front bottom section so that i can safely jack it up.

Last edited by MustangFTW; 11-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

got any pictures of farther forward on the front rail? Are the rockers still good? Have you tried looking for a shell that have good front and rear rails. Few years ago i picked one up that was just a shell with good front and rear rails for 350. Might be a cheaper way to go.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by jp1967stang
got any pictures of farther forward on the front rail? Are the rockers still good? Have you tried looking for a shell that have good front and rear rails. Few years ago i picked one up that was just a shell with good front and rear rails for 350. Might be a cheaper way to go.
yes, i have the grandparents looking for a suitable body/shell in AZ. im leaning toward that route but im not 100% sure yet. saw a 68 shell, already de rusted and had primer on including suspension for 500$ no interior or electrical though. i would like to get one with electrical and glass if possible.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:15 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

I guess I'm wondering why you painted the car before addressing the rust repair? Was there a reason that you chose to paint it first? I'm afraid you are going to have a very hard time fixing the metal without ruining the paint.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The photos show the frame rail extension, and torque box. The extension is trashed, amd the torque box is almost gone. Replacing these is much less serious than a frame rail. Let's see some photos of the rail.

BTW, it's a small thing, but your metal oval floor plugs are upside down.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:47 PM
MustangFTW

well the orignal plan was to fix the exterior body rust and paint then enjoy it. the paint job was homemade and cost 250$ so ruining it isnt a big deal. I did it mostly for the learning/fun factor. the body shop that did the final body work ****ed up, along with me knowing 0 about body work.

didnt know that was the extension, always heard of it referred to as the frame rail. ill get pictures soon.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
MustangFTW

camera battery died, but everything after the firewall looks decent. the rockers seem iffy to me, ill have pictures of everything tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need some info about frame rails.