Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuel cell

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel cell

Well i need a new tank as when mine was sumped it was done by a friend who messed it up. Anyways not going to buy the 2k gas tanks and was going to go with a jegs or summit fuel cell when i searched the net and found for 400 i can get a cell that fits the car and was made for it. Wondering if anyone has ever used this one ive never seen them before. Doesnt look too bad and the price is right.

http://www.atomicfabrications.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=5015
Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

I've been thinking about a fuel cell for some time also. This one is really interesting because I wanted a custom fit but didn't ever want the 1200+ price tag. Having a bladder back there would ease my mind from the big rear end collision fear.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Timetravelinn
I've been thinking about a fuel cell for some time also. This one is really interesting because I wanted a custom fit but didn't ever want the 1200+ price tag. Having a bladder back there would ease my mind from the big rear end collision fear.

I would love to own a nice one with a bladder but for the price never going to happen. Need a sumped tank for my pump and at the cost of 100 for tank plus 60 for sump and probably 60 to have it weld on for not much more it would be nice.
I think im going to get this one but want to see if anyone has one and what how far they stick up out of the floor. As i dont think their is going to be an easy way to get a fill hose from the stock location on it. So im thinking of doing the shelby splash bucket like the one here http://www.cobranda.com/rspbu.html
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I'm not a fan of the bottom feed it leaves your fuel lines sticking out the back easy for someone to loosen for you.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I'm not a fan of the bottom feed it leaves your fuel lines sticking out the back easy for someone to loosen for you.
Only way to run most electric fuel pumps they wont pull gas only push gas so fuel pump has to draw fuel from the lowest point. I actually like the looks of it just wish i had the engine to back the way my car looks. Someday tho.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Not true the cell in my mustang and truck have the feeds on the top of the tank.The reason they made it a bottom feed is its the cheapest way to make the tank.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Not true the cell in my mustang and truck have the feeds on the top of the tank.The reason they made it a bottom feed is its the cheapest way to make the tank.
i was wondering how thos work i want one but what fuel pump do you have to run with top feed tanks. Top feed tanks are what i want but dont you need an internal fuel pump. What fuel pump would i need to make a top feed tank work on a carb car? I looked for a few days before and didnt find anything. I know my pump needs to be at the lowest point as it will not suck gas only push
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Both of mine the pumps are in the tank you can run that with a carb just need a fuel pressure reg to keep it down.Fuel safe does have a external pump kit no clue on its price on top of the tanks price.Have you talked to http://rickstanks.com/tanks.htm his start at 900 bucks but they are stainless so you can shine it up if you want.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

i have an intank fuel pump on my stock fuel tank and im switching to external. you can never fully seal the power wires going into the tank for the pump. so i have a small gas leak if i fill up too much.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

why would somebody loosen fuel lines? Thats paranoia. I doubt anybody leaves their car unattended.

Quick Reply: Fuel cell