Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1969 Mustang Coil Springs: Replace or not?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 PM
jayestes

Default 1969 Mustang Coil Springs: Replace or not?

I've got a stock 302 69 Coupe Mustang, and am in the midst of restoring it. Engine and transmission are out, and now would be the time to replace the front end coil springs - if needed.

Last time I drove this car, years ago, it seemed the front end was "soft" and I wanted it tighter. Is it possible that the front springs are just "old" and new springs and new shocks would fix the ride? Or maybe just new good shocks?

Can coil springs "go bad" as they get old/worn, OR, would great new shocks only fix the front end ride, because springs never really need to be replaced unless they've been damaged (mine have not).

What's your opinion on this??

Thanks

Jay
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

I'd do it. You're restoring the car, it felt "soft" and springs do wear out. Unless cash is tight (it will be... Restoring is tough on the checkbook) it's a no brainer.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Given a choice between replacing the springs or rebuilding the front end and installing new shocks I would rebuild the front end. If you can do both that would be better but don't go too stiff on the springs. The ride can be truck like if you do.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I would first rebulid the front end and replace the shocks. See how she rides and handles and go from there.
When I first got mt car I replaced the shoacks and got all new front end original parts. I put in new coil springs and ended up putting the old ones back on as the front end sat too high and the car rode like crap.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I say, if you are building a road racer go with new springs, but if the car sits level now, buy some stiff shocks and see how you like it. I had really old crappy shocks on my car and replaced them with kyb gas adjust the shocks an d it took all of the bounce out of my front end. Now rear end is another issue. If the car sags you may just go with new leafs/shocks to start. I like my stock springs up front. I cut a half coil out and it sits/rides nicely.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 PM
jayestes

Thanks all. great suggestions. My sense has been though that the front end sits too low, and I found it bottoming out too often. It's mostly all stock, about 150kmi on it since new, and I've always felt it sat too low in front and was too soft. It really could be just crappy shocks, and I will certainly rework all required components in the front end and get new good shocks, but just wondering about these springs. I've got the "you know.... while I'm in here" bug.

I haven't checked yet, any idea how much a new pair would cost? Will it be just as easy to replace the springs even after I get her all back together? I know they come out in the wheelwell, so maybe having engine out is not that big of a deal?

I appreciate all the advise here, Thanks.

Jay