Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

instrument panel don't work properly!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 AM
oldschool87

Unhappy instrument panel don't work properly!

hello guys,

My dashboard doesn't want to work well! cables are all connected, but the tools don't rise more than half! ... do you think the voltage regulator, or you think should change all the instruments? I am very afraid to run with the temperature gauge doesn't work properly!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

If it is the oil pressure, temp and fuel guages all doing the same thing then i would be thinking the instument cluster voltage regulator. If it is the speedo thats a different problem.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 AM
oldschool87

Originally Posted by rtintwo
If it is the oil pressure, temp and fuel guages all doing the same thing then i would be thinking the instument cluster voltage regulator. If it is the speedo thats a different problem.
all these instruments are not marked as they should, for example, the fuel gauge (when the tank is full) marks halfway. The oil pressure just MAYBE marks. The instrument of water temperature, after several kilometers covered, rises slightly.

It can be that stupid voltage regulator? I found this on Ebay, it may be the right one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-68-MUST...sories&vxp=mtr

the speedometer while driving .... DANCE! (LOL), but this is not a big problem!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 AM
MustangFTW

I'm pretty sure every ones Speedo dances around on here. Very common problem.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Disconnect all three wire leads from the oil pressure, temperature and fuel sending units. You should have close to 5 volts to them. Either you have a bad regulator/wiring to the regulator or you have three different problems.

And the speedo dancing just means she wants too two step with you so buy her a beer and dance along.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 AM
oldschool87

Originally Posted by rtintwo
Disconnect all three wire leads from the oil pressure, temperature and fuel sending units. You should have close to 5 volts to them. Either you have a bad regulator/wiring to the regulator or you have three different problems.

And the speedo dancing just means she wants too two step with you so buy her a beer and dance along.
MMUUMMUHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! I choose to buy a case of beer and dancing along with the speedometer!

this evening i try to test cables with instrument!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:43 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

That eBay link is a compatible voltage drop.

Is the 5V right? I has thought that the gauges should get between 6 and 8 V, but this is just something I read somewhere, never checked myself....
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Im pretty sure it is 5v though i have been wrong before, it will be pulsing up and down some but centered around 5v i think.

Oldschool i just noticed something about your ebay link. The title calls out 66-68 but the description calls it a 67-68. I think that one is a later model regulator and will have a little different mounting bracket than what you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-66-Ford...item35b5bc61a3
Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

If you replace the voltage regulator and that sounds like the problem you have, don't buy the cheap one. I installed one a few weeks ago and it didn't work at all. Scott Drake makes a good one and there are a few on ebay that I have heard good things about so try one of those.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM
oldschool87

ok guys,

I would first like to thank you for the valuable information you have given me so far. I can just get that Volt will test the tools, if you get less than 5 volts, buy scott playing drakes.

Quick Reply: instrument panel don't work properly!