Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Just got a 68 hardtop...questions

Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Bullitt6996

Talking Just got a 68 hardtop...questions

Hey guys, I just got a 68 mustang hardtop, here's what I know or beleive so far...
1. Eng (302) rebuilt a few years back with less than 900 miles on it
2. Trans: auto unknown, beleive to be C4
3. Doors need complete rebuilding, door parts missing or nonfunctional on interior, resulting in me having to reach inside panel to pop latch to open.
4. Some patches of rust on roof, will be bondo'd (gonna get a fastback conversion kit eventually, anyways)
5. Exhaust and wheels, great shape!
6. Floor Shifter: sloppy, barely functional
7. Brakes: Front disc, rear drums, all pretty rusty, master cylinder and power booster may need replacing.
8. fender bolts loose, need to align and some light bodywork where it caught the d side door.
9. Etc... The fuel pump seems to be shot, will get to the clear filter, but wont fill it, and/or make it to the carb, which is a 1403 Edelbrock performer series..500cfm if I'm right. Once I get her going I will know more, but it did briefly run with gas fed directly through the carb bore, it sounded good. Gonna switch to the Ford HEI and get rid of the distributor.

Basically I'm looking for advice on where to start, good and reasonably priced supplies, performance ideas, and personal experience with 68's. This will be a driver, not a show car, will be satin black with either red/white pinstripe or red lemans stripe. I'm in the central valley, CA

Thanks guys,

Bullitt6996

That's what I know so far

Last edited by Bullitt6996; 12-07-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Mustangs unlimited is a great place to buy parts. good luck!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

the first thing i would do is save a TON of money. Then once you have a TON of money, you need to triple it. Then you will be ready for your mustang.

Also, i would get rid of that idea of a fastback conversion. Its not even in the cards. If you want a fastback, sell the coupe and get a fastback.

Good luck and post up some pictures. Pics make it all worth it. Im not much for reading. it makes my brain tired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Bullitt6996

I don't think I'd ever be able to save a ton, not with my job. Gonna get it running safely, then bit by bit the rest. Too cool of a car to have it sitting and waiting for stuff...
Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

That's always good.

That's what a 68 302 would have come with

3. Doors need complete rebuilding, door parts missing or nonfunctional on interior, resulting in me having to reach inside panel to pop latch to open.
Usually pretty simple, probably the rod retainers are broken.

4. Some patches of rust on roof, will be bondo'd (gonna get a fastback conversion kit eventually, anyways)
Don't. The conversions suck, because not all the parts are available.

Good news.

$5 for a pair of nylon bushings will have it working like new, all Ford floor shifters suffer from this when neglected.

7. Brakes: Front disc, rear drums, all pretty rusty, master cylinder and power booster may need replacing.
Everything is available new or reman.

8. fender bolts loose, need to align and some light bodywork where it caught the d side door.
Typical.

9. Etc... The fuel pump seems to be shot, will get to the clear filter, but wont fill it, and/or make it to the carb, which is a 1403 Edelbrock performer series..500cfm if I'm right.
There is almost always an air bubble in the filter, except on the crappy glass ones you can see it.

Once I get her going I will know more, but it did briefly run with gas fed directly through the carb bore, it sounded good. Gonna switch to the Ford HEI and get rid of the distributor.
Waste of money. If you want to go electronic, get the Pertronix I. Installs in 10 minutes, and sells for a fraction of a new distributor.

BTW, HEI is a General Motors system, not Ford.

Basically I'm looking for advice on where to start, good and reasonably priced supplies, performance ideas, and personal experience with 68's. This will be a driver, not a show car, will be satin black with either red/white pinstripe or red lemans stripe. I'm in the central valley, CA

Replace the bad fuel pump, and let us know how it's going. As for the ignition, it's the worst place to spend a lot of money, although very fashionable.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-08-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Bullitt6996

Update: According to the VIN, this car was a factory 289 2bbl. The previous owner said it went to 302 on the rebuild. Also, Fuel pump is functional, but the Carb needs rebuild or repacment. After stripping the roof of the rust, I found some small holes and some pitting. Replacement patch and weld is out of budget for now, but does anyone know if bondo will hold for small holes or should I try something like JB weld? *PS, I'll get some pics up soon...
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Bullitt6996

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
That's always good.

That's what a 68 302 would have come with

Usually pretty simple, probably the rod retainers are broken.

Don't. The conversions suck, because not all the parts are available.

Good news.

$5 for a pair of nylon bushings will have it working like new, all Ford floor shifters suffer from this when neglected.

Everything is available new or reman.

Typical.

9. Etc... The fuel pump seems to be shot, will get to the clear filter, but wont fill it, and/or make it to the carb, which is a 1403 Edelbrock performer series..500cfm if I'm right.
There is almost always an air bubble in the filter, except on the crappy glass ones you can see it.

Once I get her going I will know more, but it did briefly run with gas fed directly through the carb bore, it sounded good. Gonna switch to the Ford HEI and get rid of the distributor.
Waste of money. If you want to go electronic, get the Pertronix I. Installs in 10 minutes, and sells for a fraction of a new distributor.

BTW, HEI is a General Motors system, not Ford.

Replace the bad fuel pump, and let us know how it's going. As for the ignition, it's the worst place to spend a lot of money, although very fashionable.

I know HEI is GM, there is a Ford Unit aftermarket, but can you paste a link to the shifter bushings you mentioned? I know there's a kit out there, but if it's just a couple of bushings, that'd be a quick repair.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
MustangFTW

Goto cjpony parts website and search for shifter bushings, it's like 3$ for the pair.

As for the holes, i would do fiberglass patches, i used them on my 67 since I had a very tight budget. You just need the fiberglass material and the liquid resin, about 80$ in all for a large amount of resin plus a few square feet of fiberglass. Once you lay on the fiber glass sand it to get the edges as smooth as possible, the bondo over it. You will need a secondary filler for the small air pockets that show through the bondo.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Bullitt6996

I was thinking fiberglass, the holes I found were not very big, but I suspect there may have been vinyl on the roof originally. I've never worked with fiberglass before, but I guess its never too late to learn, thanks.

*Another update, the passenger side door latches do work after all, the lock seems to jam up though. On the Drivers side, neither exterior or interior door latches work, I have to reach through the inside of the door to unlatch it. Gonna pull that door off and rebuild.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 AM
MustangFTW

Fiber glass isn't too hard, roof is a great place to start since its flat.

Search this Thread