Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Not getting correct alignment results.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

You can make turn pads with a couple of pieces of sheetmetal with a little oil under them.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I learned enough in HIGH SCHOOL auto class, and remember enough from nearly 30 years ago that I could have aligned the car better in my driveway than these shops did with all of their equipment.

ALL an alignment shop needs to do is to bring the adjustable strut rod to STOCK length, and then set the caster and camber using the TOP control arm adjustment ONLY.

After this is done, the way the wheels fit in the wheel opening can be FINE TUNED with the adjustable strut rod, and then the alignment done again on the UCA.

The ADJUSTABLE STRUT ROD should not be used to align the car, it is mostly used for the benefit of getting the wheel where you need it in the wheel opening. This is the error that the shops keep making.
I agree, without a stationary refrence point to start with (ie the lower ball joint at its stock location) all the shop's are going to do is chase their tail back and forth by moving the top and bottom joints in parallel thus the bind on the lower bushing by moving both. Also, several sheets of wax paper on smooth concrete will work well as a turn plate.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chucks_truck
So another thing I forgot to mention was the first shop that tried aligning it said to get the adjustable strut rods in the first place because he said he could not attain the +2 degrees of caster I was seeking. So like everyone is saying, maybe these guys don't know what they're doing.... I have looked at some of the Fastrax caster gauges and have thought about doing it myself, but I would rather have someone who specializes in older suspensions to do it....
Once you get the arms properly squared up, the only thing about most of the alignment procedure that isn't wrench work is learning how to measure camber and toe and possibly compute caster. None of that is particularly difficult, but you do need to be patient.

Keep in mind that 1960's alignment specs might not be optimum for either radial tires, wider tires and wheels, or harder driving. Then again, when you can DIY your alignments, you never have to argue about getting the settings made.

Norm
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
chucks_truck

Thank you everyone for all the helpful posts. I am having a guy who has been aligning cars for 40 years take a look at it. He will be able to tell me if its just an alignment problem or an actual frame issue. I will keep you guys posted!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
chucks_truck

So I just got my car aligned properly with no problems what so ever, the people here in my little town just didn't know what the hell they were doing.... I'm glad that is all is was. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

So I just got my car aligned properly with no problems what so ever, the people here in my little town just didn't know what the hell they were doing.... I'm glad that is all is was. Thanks for all the help guys!
glad to hear you got everything actin right. What adjustments did you end up having to make?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The key is most shops today are clueless how to do a car that needs shims. Only the geezers and old car nutz know how. Usually the Mustang club in your area will know where to go.