Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brake dilemma... Opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake dilemma... Opinions wanted.

Would like some opinions on my brakes.

I do not want 17" wheels on my car. Nothing against them, just not my style. Going with 15" wheels and that is set in stone. So this means my brake options are more limited. 13" Cobra brakes are out of the question.

A while back I purchased the SSBC Comp S brakes because I got a killer deal on them. Although these are really nice brakes with billet, 4 piston calipers, I do not trust they would be extremely reliable on a 2,500+ mile trip I plan when the car is finished. Replacement parts for these brakes would have to be ordered from SSBC.

Other options; CSRP disc brake kit. This seems like a good alternative. Brake parts would be more readily available from auto parts stores, except the calipers which would also be special order as well as pads. So it kind of puts me in a similar situation.

I know I'm being stubborn by saying I won't consider Scarebird brakes but I'd rather not.

So what do you guys think?

Keep the SSBC kit I already have? Or sell them and get the CSRP kit?

Here is the SSBC kit on my car

Thanks for your input in advanced.

Fred
Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Wilwood has a kit that I believe fits inside a 15" wheel.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

id keep the brakes you have...if you need to get parts jegs or summit etc can get you hooked up very quick....
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

OR buy some replacement parts now to keep in the trunk just in case!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Why don't you think the brakes you have won't be reliable?

I like the CSRP setup, but since you already have the SSBC setup, and got it for a good price....

IDK, but imo, the pads should last 15,000 miles anyway...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I trust ssbc i ran their brakes on my 65 impala for 3 years even did the hot rod power tour in the car once.Like said if your scared of them just buy extra calipers and pads and keep them in the trunk.Someone told me csrp had a kit not listed on the site that is a sn95 caliper and a normal size rotor that might clear 15s.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 AM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deviousfred
..Other options; CSRP disc brake kit. This seems like a good alternative. Brake parts would be more readily available from auto parts stores, except the calipers which would also be special order as well as pads. So it kind of puts me in a similar situation...

Fred
I'm guessing you are talking about our SWAP.4 SN95 based kit with the modern large aluminum dual piston caliper with extra thick rotor. This kit uses the OE type calipers and pads (new). The only unique part is the rotor. The rotor is a 1.02" thick. It will fit under 15" wheels.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by degins
I'm guessing you are talking about our SWAP.4 SN95 based kit with the modern large aluminum dual piston caliper with extra thick rotor. This kit uses the OE type calipers and pads (new). The only unique part is the rotor. The rotor is a 1.02" thick. It will fit under 15" wheels.
How much? And is it available?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deviousfred
How much? And is it available?
It is. Please call for sales information.
Dennis
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

While I'm a big supporter of CSRP (I've got the CSRP OE-style kit on my '67), I don't see what's wrong with your current setup. What makes you think it won't be reliable? Sure, rotors and calipers aren't going to be available from your local chain parts store, but brakes generally don't just self destruct.

Quick Reply: Brake dilemma... Opinions wanted.