Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

decking the head?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jojobanks
Wanted to try decking my own head ever since I found a way to do it without a mill/huge belt sander.
I wouldn't trust ANY method of removing head deck material that did not involve a large, heavy, and rigid piece of machine shop equipment. You're all but guaranteed to end up outside any reasonable flatness spec, which in turn will all but guarantee having head gasket trouble later.

I've hand-tapped a few things, but nothing as angularity-critical as rocker stud holes. It's way too hard to keep the tap straight and once it's started to cut crooked you've lost that battle (and may even break the tap off leaving a piece that's too hard to drill out stuck there in the hole). Don't do it.

Fitting the biggest possible valves can end up costing you power due to shrouding on the chamber wall side. A streetable 289/302 simply does not need 2.02's.

Building up your engine should be about putting together a good combination of parts. Not about individual spec numbers themselves.

Norm
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I wouldn't trust ANY method of removing head deck material that did not involve a large, heavy, and rigid piece of machine shop equipment. You're all but guaranteed to end up outside any reasonable flatness spec, which in turn will all but guarantee having head gasket trouble later.

I've hand-tapped a few things, but nothing as angularity-critical as rocker stud holes. It's way too hard to keep the tap straight and once it's started to cut crooked you've lost that battle (and may even break the tap off leaving a piece that's too hard to drill out stuck there in the hole). Don't do it.

Fitting the biggest possible valves can end up costing you power due to shrouding on the chamber wall side. A streetable 289/302 simply does not need 2.02's.

Building up your engine should be about putting together a good combination of parts. Not about individual spec numbers themselves.

Norm
to deck the head without a giant belt sander or a mill you just get a glass table and glue light grit sandpaper to it then just move it back and forth for awhile. It's really no different than using a belt sander, other than the fact that it takes A LOT longer.

As far as tapping the holes for the studs it seems like it would be really easy to rig up a guide for the tap. I'll have to check and make sure it's a true 90* angle on the current studs first. If all else fails I have a pretty decent adjustable speed drill press that rotates slow enough to where I could probably tap it with that.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That glass table had better be sitting on a thickish steel plate that is also flat, otherwise under the weight of the head the glass will deflect and you'll end up cutting more off the ends of the head than from the middle. It only takes a few thou for head gasket sealing to become problematic even with composition gaskets. Never mind if metal head gaskets might be used. If anything, the 4 bolts/cylinder SBF fastening arrangement is going to be a little more sensitive to this than the SBC's 5 bolts/cylinder.

Many years ago I saw a power tap machine used once, by an old-time machinist. Using a drill press sounds like a pretty shaky approach, because you still have to periodically stop and reverse the rotation to break the chips.

It's easy enough to visualize using something sort of like a lathe center to keep the butt end of the tap in position. But it might not be so easy to actually locate the axis of the center along the axis of the rocker stud hole. If you're off either laterally or angularly you still won't end up with the threads being cut straight.

The rocker studs are not perpendicular to the head face. The procedure given in the FRPP catalog for "head modification for mechanical cam" implies this by telling you to machine the tops of the stud bosses at right angles to the holes (as opposed to cutting parallel to the deck). They don't provide the angle because it is a general note, and the angle probably varies among the different engine families anyway.

Norm
Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
That glass table had better be sitting on a thickish steel plate that is also flat, otherwise under the weight of the head the glass will deflect and you'll end up cutting more off the ends of the head than from the middle. It only takes a few thou for head gasket sealing to become problematic even with composition gaskets. Never mind if metal head gaskets might be used. If anything, the 4 bolts/cylinder SBF fastening arrangement is going to be a little more sensitive to this than the SBC's 5 bolts/cylinder.

Many years ago I saw a power tap machine used once, by an old-time machinist. Using a drill press sounds like a pretty shaky approach, because you still have to periodically stop and reverse the rotation to break the chips.

It's easy enough to visualize using something sort of like a lathe center to keep the butt end of the tap in position. But it might not be so easy to actually locate the axis of the center along the axis of the rocker stud hole. If you're off either laterally or angularly you still won't end up with the threads being cut straight.

The rocker studs are not perpendicular to the head face. The procedure given in the FRPP catalog for "head modification for mechanical cam" implies this by telling you to machine the tops of the stud bosses at right angles to the holes (as opposed to cutting parallel to the deck). They don't provide the angle because it is a general note, and the angle probably varies among the different engine families anyway.

Norm
I figure it's a 1/2" thick glass top placed on my welding bench(1/4" steel top). Should be no problems for strength or straightness. I've already checked it with both a straight edge and a laser.

If I go the guide route then I'll probably secure it off of the other studs so that the angle is right. As far as making it centered, i'll probably secure a magnetic laser to the guide and aim it to the center of the hole. That's the best way I can think to do it anyway...

I've never used the drill press for tapping, but I have used it for extracting broken bolts. I probably won't end up using it though simply because I don't feel comfortable tapping something that I can't feel.

remember though I got these heads cheap to try this stuff out on. I'm fully prepared to turn these things into a small coffee table or something if I screw them up.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

The 1/2" glass surface may get you past 1/10th" mark, its gonna flex. Fully tempered, maybe into the 100th range. Nothing is going to beat the right combo of parts and a good reputable maching shop to prepare them.