Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Does anyone know for 100% ford duraspark 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Does anyone know for 100% ford duraspark 2

Well i put in a summit harness and at the same time did the duraspark 2 upgrade. Now i ran all the wires pulled the whole thing out and taped it up and have it all back in the car and everything hooked up. Idk y today i decided to look on the net to just go over everything and make sure i ran everything right and nothing is going to fry.
I have seen many options on if the duraspark box u use a resistor wire or not off the ignition switch. My harness has a fuse for the coil and i would assume that the voltage is a full 12v on that wire havent checked yet. I looked on the internet and have seen both. Some say to use a resistor wire to the box some say put full 12v to the box. Some say full 12v to box and coil so no resistor. Some say full 12v to box and resistor block or whatever their called at the coil. What is the right answer? Has anyone ever actually measured the voltage of the wire to the red wire on the box on a car that came with duraspark 2? I have herd alot of ppl say that either way works and they have been using it that way for 2 years or so ect but i want the right answer. Please someone give me the 100% i know right answer.

Note everything for my duraspark 2 is stock, stock box blue, stock dizy, stock coil. I did lengthen the wires from the box to the dizy. And also ran new wire to the coil wire i ran was bigger then the wire that was their didnt think any of these wires have any resistor elements to them.

Nothing has happen to me yet havent fired the car yet just want to know

Last edited by jp1967stang; 01-02-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I ran DSII on my 200 I6 when I still had it. I went through 3 coils before figuring it all out. I ran a setup saying that I had to cut the pink resistor wire under the dash to get 12V to the box. Well I did that and coils were going left and right, I had a Flamethrower coil last 1 day. My stock one lasted 3, and replacement lasted 1. Reconnected that pink wire and bam, everything worked great and I never had a problem.

I used this schematic, minus the pink wire.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/durasparkfinal.jpg

Last edited by 1slow67; 01-02-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

We added a Duraspark II to my son's Falcon, like you said there were a lot of different ways to wire it up on the internet, we ended up ditching the resistor wire and I just wired in a ballast resistor.

It works fine.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

So is it just the coil that cant handle the 12v so u need a ballast resistor at the coil only? Is their any after market that can handle 12v to the coil?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

I did not cut my resistor wire either..Worked fine for the short time that I used it..
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
I did not cut my resistor wire either..Worked fine for the short time that I used it..
I would of left it if i had the factory harness but i replaced it with a summit so no resistor wire and the whole harness is taped and back in the car. I could add it on the engine side but if all i need is one at the coil then i would rather do that. I did here tho that some duraspark cars used a resistor for the coil and some used a capacitor on the neg side of the coil so run 12v to the coil and their was a little plug that plugged into the neg side. I was told the capacitor was the more common used on fords.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

I am almost positive I am running straight 12v to everything on my system. I've been running it for about 6 months. I will go home tonight and check it.

One thing to note. I did get a coil for a later model since the original for my 66 was supposed to be used with a resistor. This could be why people were burning up coils.

Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scott_m_mil
I am almost positive I am running straight 12v to everything on my system. I've been running it for about 6 months. I will go home tonight and check it.

One thing to note. I did get a coil for a later model since the original for my 66 was supposed to be used with a resistor. This could be why people were burning up coils.

Scott
Ya let me know, I am using the ford duraspark 2 stock coil. Got a volt meter possibly check the voltage. Also do u have a capacitor pluged in
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

Well, I stand corrected. I turned the ignition to the 'on' position, put my volt meter to the red wire that powers the coil and the ignition module and it read 6.9V. I'm not sure why I thought it was running 12, but I guess it isn't.

I suppose its possible it may change if the car was actually running, but I wouldn't think so. I could check that for you as well if you like.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scott_m_mil
Well, I stand corrected. I turned the ignition to the 'on' position, put my volt meter to the red wire that powers the coil and the ignition module and it read 6.9V. I'm not sure why I thought it was running 12, but I guess it isn't.

I suppose its possible it may change if the car was actually running, but I wouldn't think so. I could check that for you as well if you like.

Thanks,
Scott
If ya could that would be great i think im going to run 12v to the box and run a resistor to the coil. Did you know if you had a pig tail on the negative side for the resistor?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know for 100% ford duraspark 2