Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My poor Christine, please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 06:23 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Default My poor Christine, please help

Ok, long post I know, but I am at my wits end and since you all have been such a huge help so far, I figured what the heck, see what they think.

First of all, even though I am a woman, I do know some about cars, so don't think I am nuts when I tell you what's going on.

We bought the 72 with a 302, manual transmission, stock carb two weeks ago. The day we brought her home she started stalling out on us.
1. We changed all the fuel filters and drained the gas, it looked clean so we put it all back together. Still stalling when we push in the clutch at a stop sign, idles rough.
2. Change plugs and wires. Idles good, still stalling.
3. Take off sending unit in tank, clean and eventually take off tank and spend two hours cleaning it as well.
4. Rebuild carb, blow out fuel lines, new filters, new fuel pump, all back together...idles OK, spring a water leak in radiator (i know, we are tired by now, too)
5. Fix leak, find another, spend a whole day patching with JB Weld and putting back together.
6. Drive her and she starts hesitating when you get in the gas...cutting out, jerking, like she is running out of gas.
7. Take her home and proceed to take everything off to change timing chain.
8. Still taking everything off.
9. Got chain, put it on, put everything back together thanks to Soaring and the others here who answered our questions.
10. Drove it yesterday...still acts like it is starving for gas and has another leak in the radiator too.

Now that we have exhausted ourselves, me typing and you reading, what do you think is wrong? Is the timing still off or is it the carb? When we cleaned the tank it was full of rust and junk but we replaced or rebuilt everything from the tank up...

Thanks ya'll....

I am off to a volleyball game, will check in later
Old 09-12-2005, 06:44 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My poor Christine, please help

first off, i think it's awesome to see a women in this field, next im still a newbie but here are my guesses. Could the spark plug gaps be off or the distributor. Timing for spark may be off. I thought sometihng could be funny with the tranny. ex, not applying enoguh gas when releasing the clutch expcept now it's while already in gear. And my final guess: could the camshaft be screwed up? Misaligned/worn?

i wish i could help more but like i said im a nub.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:47 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the comments, we are open to any suggestions right now, especially ones that cost little or no money
Old 09-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Still having problems with her are you? Now that you most likely have the dirty gas issue solved, you more than likely have a timing or some kind of ignition issue. Have you taken off the dizzy cap and looked at it to see if maybe there is a crack in it? Get us back up to speed as to what ignition you have....points or electronic? If it is points, at what gap do you have them set? If it were mine, I'd replace all the ignition components to include the points, condenser, rotary and cap along with the spark plug wires. Then I would put in new plugs. Ya know, it is amazing how many times even the condenser that goes bad will cause these kinds of problems. So, instead of trying to isolate the ignition problem, I would just get it all replaced with new stuff. Reset the timing by using a timing light after you replace the points. The timing should be about 8-10 degrees BTDC, or you can set it by ear. Advance it as much as you can before it pings, then back off a few degrees.
Now, on the other hand, you may have a carb problem. If it were mine, and the new ignition stuff didn't solve the problem, I would replace the carb with a rebuilt one. Hang in there gal. You will eventually solve the problem, then you will thoroughly enjoy that Mustang.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
pak133
1st Gear Member

I if I read and understand correctly the car seems to run fine when idling and the stalling problems occur when she's driven? This seems to me like a timing problem. Also have you gone back and checked all the vacuum lines?

Off topic..1/28 for a birthday is cool...mine is also the 28th. Good luck!!

Phil
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

If it is stalling while moving, It could be the vacuum advance not acting right. So is it running good while sitting? and another question relating to the timing chain. Did you remove the oil pan with the timing chain cover. My book says you are supposed to, but i didn't. So now im going to put it back to together with a whole bunch of permatex and maybe some gasket material and hope to god it doesn't leak.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:18 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

I had almost the same problem when I first got my mustang. The minute you stepped on the gas, it would sputter and die unless you immediately pulled off. I thought for sure it was a carb problem, but it turned out to be an ignition problem. Change the points on your distributor, and gap them correctly.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:26 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Soaring is right, replace all the ignition components and gap those points correctly. If anything, you'll have a fresh tune up
Old 09-13-2005, 04:36 AM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nualln

The minute you stepped on the gas, it would sputter and die unless you immediately pulled off.
I just had that problem as well and for me it was the carb.
When we tore the carb apart to rebuild it we noticed that one of the gaskets fell off and was allowing the carb to suck more air then it needed, which would make it die when you stepped on it due to the engine not getting a proper air/fule mixture.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 AM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Thanks everybody, we are defintely going to check the timing again.

We have ordered a rebuilt carb, a 2 barrel Holley.

We didn't take the oil pan off when we redid the timing chain, but also used a bunch of gasket sealer, I will check that out.

I am picking up my Chilton's manual today at the local part store, in my hick town no one had one on the shelf. But then again, no one has a car like mine, either.

When we get the manual we will do the points and vacuum lines, just to make sure. Carb won't be here until Friday or Saturday but I will let you guys know how it's going every step of the way.

Thanks again, Ya'll have a great Day, I am off to my European Politics Class,

Charity

Quick Reply: My poor Christine, please help