Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 Mustang Stalls After About 5-10 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Ryanb66

Default 66 Mustang Stalls After About 5-10 Minutes

I have a 66 Mustang 289 and I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem. Around a month ago I was driving and my car was beginning to stall about 5-10 minutes in when driving.

I thought it had something to do with my carb so I got that rebuilt (Edelbrock) and changed all my fuel filters and put a new fuel pump in (electric). That didn't help so I thought it was something with my ignition system, so I replaced my cap/rotor on my Mallory Unilite Distributer (yes I know they suck but it was a gift!) and my plugs and wires and I also replaced the Unilite Condensor about 8 months ago. That still didn't work so I then replaced the actual ignition switch and started it up last weekend and it still died on me after about 5-10 minutes. sometimes it would start back up but after a while it wouldn't until about 30 minutes after.

It can't be a vapor lock because I have heat shield over my fuel lines and I have spark to my wires but, its weird when I checked spark it would actually spark when I let go of the key after I bumped the motor?? If someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated cause I'm tired of throwing money at it just replacing stuff.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Looks like you didn't replace the coil. They can break down and fail when warmed up.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Right after it stalls, check the carb for fuel.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

L'm not understanding where the condensor comes in but, this is classic symptom of bad ignition module. Are you running points or electronic ignition?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Ryanb66

I replaced the coil when I replaced the condenser and the carb has fuel in the bowls after it stalls. The Mallory unilite condenser replaces my points so no I have no points.

I've heard from others it is my ignition switch but I replaced that and still no go.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like junk in the tank. The 'junk' eventually gets sucked up to the sock on the pickup tube and starves the car of fuel. After sitting a while the 'junk' drops off the sock and you're able to go again.
Drain the tank and see what comes out, besides gas. Or, get the level low enough and pull the sender unit out and take a peek inside.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Do you see fuel spray into carb when you hit the accelerator? Also, check to see if you still have spark when it happens.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Ryanb66

Originally Posted by Stepman
Do you see fuel spray into carb when you hit the accelerator? Also, check to see if you still have spark when it happens.
Thanks guys. There fuel does spray when the accelerator is pushed. I have spark but sometimes it doesn't have spark until I let go off the key (when it goes back to the off position)

And I have fuel in my fuel filter that's in my engine bay so if the sock on the pickup in the tank was clogged wouldn't it suck all the fuel out of the lines/fuel filter before it stalls?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I'm not familiar with the mallory but....you have a bad ignition module. I believe that with mallory there is a box seperate from the distributor?...this is your problem.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by Ryanb66
Thanks guys. There fuel does spray when the accelerator is pushed. I have spark but sometimes it doesn't have spark until I let go off the key (when it goes back to the off position)

And I have fuel in my fuel filter that's in my engine bay so if the sock on the pickup in the tank was clogged wouldn't it suck all the fuel out of the lines/fuel filter before it stalls?

im thinking you have a bad ignition switch possibly(not the tumbler key) are you getting voltage at the coil when you are cranking it while have the problem??

Quick Reply: 66 Mustang Stalls After About 5-10 Minutes