Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 Mustang Carpet Removal Question (s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM
BCBen

Default 68 Mustang Carpet Removal Question (s)

hey I started taking the carpet out of my 68 Mustang,
and I have a couple questions
How does this bolt come out? Is there a nut on the other side? Its the bolt on the driver side (and passenger side) holding the seatbelt on

And question number two, whats this wire for? the green one, its along the door frame

Sorry if these are dumb questions, this is my first Mustang (and first car, got it earlier this year couple weeks after my 16th bday)

Any help is great, thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

the bolt should just screw out. If it's just sticking in there and rotating it's probably corroded and the threads are bad/stripped. Try sticking a flat head screwdriver under it and prying up while you unscrew.

the green wire isn't factory. it's probably a wire that the previous owner ran for one reason or another.

on a more personal note... ROLL TIDE!! we just won the bcs national championship by shutting out LSU.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 AM
ponyboychris

If you crawl underneath the car and look up into the transmission tunnel, you'll see the plates that the seatbelts are bolted into. Two helpful hints: 1. spray some PB Blaster on the bolt and let it set for a few minutes before trying to remove and 2. use a 6 point socket on the bolt so you won't strip it out.

The green wire is probably from an old stereo speaker install. It's not factory for sure.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 PM
BCBen

Originally Posted by ponyboychris
If you crawl underneath the car and look up into the transmission tunnel, you'll see the plates that the seatbelts are bolted into. Two helpful hints: 1. spray some PB Blaster on the bolt and let it set for a few minutes before trying to remove and 2. use a 6 point socket on the bolt so you won't strip it out.

The green wire is probably from an old stereo speaker install. It's not factory for sure.
Yeah I found the bolts and removed them (with grief) Because I didnt have the car raised, and I didnt use and rust remover. I ended up cutting the bolt off from the top. The second one I got off fine, and I tracked the green wire back to the trunk where its hooked up to some button that looks like its pushed down when the trunk is closed. kinda weird, anyone know what that might be?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BCBen
I tracked the green wire back to the trunk where its hooked up to some button that looks like its pushed down when the trunk is closed. kinda weird, anyone know what that might be?
Sounds like its for a light, but not sure why the wire goes to the front?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BCBen
Yeah I found the bolts and removed them (with grief) Because I didnt have the car raised, and I didnt use and rust remover. I ended up cutting the bolt off from the top. The second one I got off fine, and I tracked the green wire back to the trunk where its hooked up to some button that looks like its pushed down when the trunk is closed. kinda weird, anyone know what that might be?
sounds like some crazy james bond stuff. check your car for hidden missile silos and mini guns.

nah I don't have a clue. possibly for a trunk light or something. try opening the trunk and press the button... and hope you don't blow the house up.