Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

GT Gragar Rims 14 inch

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Waikaraka

Default GT Gragar Rims 14 inch

Hello,
I am in New Zealand and have found some 60's -14 inch gt plus gragar rims- 4 off. As I have a original numbers matching gt hardtop I though these rims would be appropriate but then I might be wrong.
Could anyone please tell me from the states what the rims are worth (they have been polished, , are they hard to get hold of , do these old rims present a possible hazard as far as the steel rim being joined to the aluminium centre and being old rims and do many people have this type of rim on original mustangs in America or just go with more larger modern wheels.I just though that the rims would be peroid correct for my car and I could use my existing tyres as well.Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you.Bye. Regards
Gary
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you mean Cragar gt they was the most common aftermarket rims in the late 60s to the 80s.Unless you see any cracks in them they should be safe to use as far as price on them i don't have a clue.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
The_Dude
1st Gear Member

Cragar still makes those wheels, so they're not hard to get or rare. In good shape they should be worth a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waikaraka
Hello,
I am in New Zealand and have found some 60's -14 inch gt plus gragar rims- 4 off. As I have a original numbers matching gt hardtop I though these rims would be appropriate but then I might be wrong.
Could anyone please tell me from the states what the rims are worth (they have been polished, , are they hard to get hold of , do these old rims present a possible hazard as far as the steel rim being joined to the aluminium centre and being old rims and do many people have this type of rim on original mustangs in America or just go with more larger modern wheels.I just though that the rims would be peroid correct for my car and I could use my existing tyres as well.Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you.Bye. Regards
Gary
As the dude said these wheels are still in production. Brand new they sell for about $130 a piece if you want to base it off of that.

And yes crager rims are still very much in style here in america. I'd say about 70% of aftermarket rims I see on classic-style vehicles are crager or some kind of imitation.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Waikaraka

Default Cragars - 60's GT Cragar Plus 14" Rims

Hello
I believe from the comments in this forum that Cragar are reproducing new versions of the original 60's Cragars gt plus 14 inch (series 26400). Has anyone got any contact details, who I can contact in America to purchase 4 new rims. Bit hard in New Zealand here to sort it out .Thanks for your time.Bye.
Regards
Gary
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

No, the Cragar G/T wheel was dropped from production decades ago, although a similar wheel is marketed today as a 1-piece S/S wheel. You are confusing it with the very common, and still produced S/S wheel. They are similar, except the G/T wheel is a non-plated aluminum wheel, while the S/S is two-piece and chrome plated. The G/T was always less common than the S/S.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 04-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Waikaraka

Default 60'S GT Cragar Rims

Thanks 2+2gt for the information. I had a person in New Zealand with some original Cragars GT Plus and went and had a look ,but we could not settle on a price . So I am still after a original set of four . Your photo you supplied with the stack of rims is the type I am after but I am after a different model , they had a flat face with triangle shape spokes . (I have tried inserting a picture of the style I want ,but I don’t know if it shows.) Does anyone know who I could contact to get a original set of 14rims I am after. (any condition )
Actually the more I look at the rims in your photo with the rounder spokes I like them as well.- does anyone know where I can get some of those rims. Any contact details would be appreciated. Thanks America, look forward to hearing from you. Regards Gary
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Waikaraka

Default Waikaraka Contact Details

If anyone knows of some 60's Cragar rims ,my email address is gary@cad.co.nz Thanks Regards Gary
Old 04-08-2012, 12:22 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

this what youre looking for?

http://www.cobranda.com/19shcr5spwh.html

Old 04-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Waikaraka

Thanks rmodel65. The picture shows exactly the shape I require but they are 15" diameter. I want 14" so that I can use my existing tires . I have a picture of a 14" in the same shape and I am sure it's a brand new reproduction one. Can anyone help, we are very close. Thanks.
Regards
Gary

Quick Reply: GT Gragar Rims 14 inch