Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
USMustangC

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Coupe
Default 1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8 help

I have a broad question and I can answer any specific questions necessary, but the problem I am having is I feel I'm not getting the right amount of power and torque from my engine.

I stomp the gas pedal and I can hear the engine roaring but I'm just not "going" does anyone know what this could be? Thank you
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
USMustangC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 70 mustang HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMustangC View Post
I have a broad question and I can answer any specific questions necessary, but the problem I am having is I feel I'm not getting the right amount of power and torque from my engine.

I stomp the gas pedal and I can hear the engine roaring but I'm just not "going" does anyone know what this could be? Thank you
well more information on your 302 would be helpful. Posting the block casting number (located above the starter) as well as any modifications would help a lot.

What trans do you have in the car? What gear do you have in the rear?

Are the RPMs climbing but your speed is staying steady? Or is the car just not accellerating as fast as you think it should? The original 302s that came in these cars only put out about 230bhp, so they weren't exactly rockets by today's standards.
jojobanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
JMD
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 39 Ford

Timing too retarded was my knee jerk reaction, but it could be any number of things...

JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

is it a c4 trans? how old is it? If you ramp up to full throttle over say a 3 to 5 second period does full throttle work better?

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobanks View Post
The original 302s that came in these cars only put out about 230bhp, so they weren't exactly rockets by today's standards.
I agree, the 68 302 4V was not exactly a barn-burner, due to the provisions in the heads for smog (even if no smog equipment was installed), the small 4300 carb, lame camshaft, etc. Even the GT 350 was pretty tame, all they did was install a Cobra high-rise and Holley carb on the otherwise stock engine. It even had the same cam as a 289 2V.

So, we'll need to know what engine, trans, axle ratio, and especially what alterations from stock he has.

One of the most overlooked items is the distributor advance curves. If that has not been adjusted, even a GT 350 will run lousy.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
USMustangC

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2GT View Post
I agree, the 68 302 4V was not exactly a barn-burner, due to the provisions in the heads for smog (even if no smog equipment was installed), the small 4300 carb, lame camshaft, etc. Even the GT 350 was pretty tame, all they did was install a Cobra high-rise and Holley carb on the otherwise stock engine. It even had the same cam as a 289 2V.

So, we'll need to know what engine, trans, axle ratio, and especially what alterations from stock he has.

One of the most overlooked items is the distributor advance curves. If that has not been adjusted, even a GT 350 will run lousy.
Ended up being the distributor and spark plugs/wires
USMustangC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1968, 1968 ford mustang help, 302, 302v8, 4v, 68, cam, ford, forums, gear, mustang, original, pics, tuning, v8, year