Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default custom efi fuel tank

can anyone help me find where to buy this product. (link below)
i bought a bunch of -6an fittings and braided fuel lines to redo my intank fuel pump to an external fuel pump and filter. spent a few bucks on it but havnt done the conversion yet. but this kit below, is perfect and id much rather go this route. but i cant find any stores selling it. so strange?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Christie - 1967 Fastback 302 5.0 fuel injected restomod.

Last edited by Gun Jam; 01-26-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: there I fixed it :)
djsprinklesnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Red face

haha just noticed i typed too fast and wrote "custome" instead of custom in the title. = fail

Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

I would just go this route: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd129.htm

It's the tank used in the Aeromotive setup, but you don't need a 340 LPH pump with a 302 (unless it's supercharged burning E85, that pump will support 1000 HP on gas!). The 190 LPH pump (GPA-2) should be plenty for your needs. If you anticipate adding a blower, go to the GPA-4 pump ($10 more). You can order direct from Tank's (owned by Speedway).

Last edited by ozarks06; 01-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.
ozarks06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 68 stang,67coug,70cutty

keep your orginal gas tank and use this http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/19...ding-Unit.html
68dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dustin View Post
keep your orginal gas tank and use this http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/19...ding-Unit.html
The problem with that is unless you open up the tank and weld in baffles or keep it pretty full, all the gas will go to the back on acceleration, the engine will go lean, and then detonation will destroy it. EFI engines don't have a reserve like a carb with a bowl. They have to have the pump or pickup in the fuel at all times.

I know a lot of guys run tanks without sumps or baffles but if you don't keep a lot of gas in it you can destroy your engine in seconds (like 1 or 2) if you hit it hard.

Last edited by ozarks06; 01-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
ozarks06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Vehicle: 2003 GT
jake03gt

Just get a fuel cell
1slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow67 View Post
Just get a fuel cell
Can you buy a fuel cell for $235? Mustang Plus lists them for $1250+ and you still need to buy the in-tank surge tank (another $312).
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

that ron moris fuel sending unit is what i have in my car already.(works great) but the problem is im running an in tank fuel pump. so i have positive and negative wires running into the tank to power the pump. the wires enter the tank just above the sending unit and it was sealed with some type of sealer/caulking around the wires. however it still leaks. so i can only put a few gallons in so the level is jsut below where the wires enter the tank.

i love the first tank posted on this thread. however $235 for the tank PLUS another $235 or so for a fuel pump etc. damnnnn. esp when i bought an external fuel filter and pump, plus -6an lines and fittings. im just not looking forward to having an external pump and the noise it makes.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
JamesW

Very similar situation here. I decided to build my own rather than going with Tanks, Inc. unit. I cut up the old tank and used its lower lock-in mounting in modifying a new tank. This is a compilation of pics - you can see how I changed the design to an adjustable height one.

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/images/Intankpump/

If you're reading this, thank a Teacher.
If you're reading this in English, thank an American Soldier.

JamesW's Website
JamesW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ugh what to do, what to do???? i think for now ill hook up the external pump and deal with the noise this summer. then redo it again next winter to an intank setup. I already did a full power rack and pinion conversion this month plus a ton of other engine upgrades. so spending more money will wait till next time.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1965, 1967, bowl, custom, efi, fuel, gas, modify, mustang, pump, sending, tank, tanks, unit, vintage