Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Whats the Best Way to Clean Paint off Floors

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 PM
BCBen

Default Whats the Best Way to Clean Paint off Floors

So Im trying to get all the black paint off my floors, its really thick stuff, donno if it was factory or not, but I wanna but some POR15 on it so I need it to bare metal, right now Im using a small wire wheel on a drill, its just gonna take way to long, any other suggestions on tools or techniques?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:34 PM
ponyboychris

Have you looked into media blasting?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
BCBen

Originally Posted by ponyboychris
Have you looked into media blasting?
All I want is the interior floors down to metal
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Kirklandkie
1st Gear Member

shouldn't take that long with a wire wheel, and it'd certainly be cheaper than most alternatives. Why are you using a drill? you should go get a nice devoted platform with a big old wire wheel (i prefer the cup style of wire wheel). i'd have that floor down to steel in just an hour or so.
wear eye protection (duh) i've gotten pieces of wire thrown at me which stuck into my skin

-kirk
Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

chemical paint stripper...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
chemical paint stripper...
+1

Aircraft remover should peel the **** out of it... (The real stuff, not the "low odor".
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Is it almost like a tar still all sticky after like 20 years? When my parents had my car restored 20 some years ago they used alot of this stuff where they welded in new pans and firewall ect. Was supried when i removed some to find bar metal like an open cavity where they just put it over and no rust anywhere on the bare metal. Took me forever to get it off on the front door pillers forward, tried melting it with torch, paint stripper, ect only thing that worked for me was scrapers then wire wheels to get the last little bit. Also what style wire wheel are you using, some last longer and work alot better.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
BCBen

Originally Posted by jp1967stang
Is it almost like a tar still all sticky after like 20 years? When my parents had my car restored 20 some years ago they used alot of this stuff where they welded in new pans and firewall ect. Was supried when i removed some to find bar metal like an open cavity where they just put it over and no rust anywhere on the bare metal. Took me forever to get it off on the front door pillers forward, tried melting it with torch, paint stripper, ect only thing that worked for me was scrapers then wire wheels to get the last little bit. Also what style wire wheel are you using, some last longer and work alot better.
Yeah thats sorta what it is, really thick in some places, and its bare metal underneath too, must have gone on early in its life because its got a bit of floor rust in one spot,
Im using a wire brush, looks like this
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

My suggestion would be to not waste time on a floor that will never be seen. Do any rust repair that is needed, use the treatment of your choice on those spots and leave the rest of the floor alone. There is not much point in striping a floor to bare metal if the paint that is on the floor now is 40 years old and doesn’t have a problem. Spend your time on something that will make a difference on the final product.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 PM
ponyboychris

Originally Posted by BCBen
All I want is the interior floors down to metal
Media blasting can and will get you down to bare metal.

Quick Reply: Whats the Best Way to Clean Paint off Floors